Is JuliaPro discontinued?

I was trying to update my version of juliapro, but I can’t seem to find the download page anymore. When I click links to it, I am redirected to the juliahub page.

I don’t want to work in the cloud or in a web browser, I am just looking for an updated version of juliapro with the atom ide so I can continue to run my code locally.

Does anyone know, has juliapro been officially retired? If not, where could I go for downloads of the newest version?

1 Like

Why not use just a regular Julia install? You can always grab the packages that you are used to.

1 Like

I am a big fan of the atom/juno ide, although I suppose I could set it all up manually.

Mainly just confused as to why I can’t find it or any announcement that it’s been discontinued

1 Like

Yes. There won’t be any new versions of JuliaPro.

11 Likes

Just to second what Petr said, simply keep your Juno install around and replace the Julia path in the settings with the path for 1.6 or 1.7beta which you can install separately. Juno continues to work just fine, and JuliaPro at this stage is just a source of unnecessary problems through its separate registry.

5 Likes

tried vscode?

I wonder what they are going to do with the JuliaInExcel package.

3 Likes

Not a fan of vscode, haven’t tried it for Julia though. Does it function similar to Juno?

It is quite similar, although organised slightly differently. It also has a lot of capabilities that Juno didn’t have. A lot of recent work to get it into similar form as juno (docs and figures pane for example). There are a couple of nice juliacon talks by David Anthoff that give an overview:

I think the Juno effort is now targeting vscode. Personally I like it. For one thing I find it plays with github a little nicer, plus there are a lot of other nice extensions for vscode, such as the one that lets you edit and view jupyter notebooks directly in vscode.

2 Likes

You may use JuliaWin by @heetbeet.
It gives even better out of the box experience than JuliaPro.

It is so good I don’t get why the official distribution isn’t using the same tricks.

2 Likes

I have both atom (Juno) and vscode and can’t really tell the difference, but it may depend on which features you use.

1 Like

As others have said, they are pretty similar at this point, which is not by accident as the Juno team explicitly aimed for feature parity (see the issue label here), although there are also still open issues where things aren’t on par with Juno (see issues here, although not all of them actually describe a working Juno feature).

Juno is currently in maintenance mode, i.e. it receives bug fixes but no feature development, which means that the VSCode extension now has some nice stuff that is unlikely to ever be available in Juno (fwiw I don’t seem to use much of it, but a good example of something recent and really cool is the native Jupyter notebook support).

One thing to note is that while on the surface things look pretty similar, there’s a pretty big difference in underlying design: VSCode is designed as a tool that statically extracts as much information as possible from the code you’ve written to give you autocompletes, linting, automatic insertion of using statements etc., but it doesn’t have any dynamic insight into your running session. Juno on the other hand is tightly integrated with your current running session, which has its issues (it has to load packages into your session at startup, which sometimes has unintended consequences) but also means that e.g. you can autocomplete column names of a DataFrame, which are not inferrable from just the code you’ve written.

If you’re happy with Juno, there’s no reason to switch, just swap out the Julia version in the Atom settings and you’re done. If you’re a grad student looking to tinker with your tooling to procrastinate, I’d say switching is worthwhile as VSCode is probably more future-proof and might have (or in future get) some cool feature which won’t make it into Juno.

12 Likes

The probably biggest reason to switch away from Juno is package loading: Juno loads packages into your REPL session from your global environment, which means you’ll run into version issues when using local environments (Foo@1.0.0 gets loaded as a dependency of Juno initially, but your local environment is only compatible with Foo@2.0.0 – things will break).

4 Likes

Thanks for all of these resources. I am glad to know that VScode will integrate with github, that was one of the biggest selling points to Juno for me

This is exactly what happened

Thank you for this insight. As a grad student who is trying to avoid procrastinating, I will try to stick with Juno for the time being. But I am less apprehensive about switching to VScode after this thread.

1 Like

As grad student who explored Julia to procrastinate and feel in love with it. I will try switching over to VSCode from my vim+repl workflow.

2 Likes