Juno produces plotly graphs only in browser, not in plots pane



The next code forces julia to open a browser, and even though it doesn’t display anything there.

using Plots

A = rand(5,5)
fig = heatmap(A)

When i switch to pyplot() or gr() it works properly and displays heatmap in a pane inside Juno.

Am I doing anything wrong?

versions info
julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.0.0
Commit 5d4eaca0c9 (2018-08-08 20:58 UTC)
Platform Info:
  OS: macOS (x86_64-apple-darwin14.5.0)
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4260U CPU @ 1.40GHz
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.0 (ORCJIT, haswell)

(v1.0) pkg> status
    Status `~/.julia/environments/v1.0/Project.toml`
  [c52e3926] Atom v0.7.6
  [6e4b80f9] BenchmarkTools v0.4.1
  [159f3aea] Cairo v0.5.6
  [b4f34e82] Distances v0.7.3
  [5789e2e9] FileIO v1.0.1
  [f6369f11] ForwardDiff v0.9.0
  [4c0ca9eb] Gtk v0.16.4
  [d9be37ee] Homebrew v0.7.0
  [7073ff75] IJulia v1.12.0
  [6218d12a] ImageMagick v0.7.1
  [86fae568] ImageView v0.8.0
  [916415d5] Images v0.16.0
  [033835bb] JLD2 v0.1.2
  [e5e0dc1b] Juno v0.5.3
  [f0f68f2c] PlotlyJS v0.11.1
  [91a5bcdd] Plots v0.20.2
  [92933f4c] ProgressMeter v0.6.0
  [d330b81b] PyPlot v2.6.3
  [dca85d43] QuartzImageIO v0.5.0
  [37e2e3b7] ReverseDiff v0.3.1
  [295af30f] Revise v0.7.11
  [90137ffa] StaticArrays v0.8.3
  [b8865327] UnicodePlots v0.3.1
  [1a1011a3] SharedArrays
  [2f01184e] SparseArrays
Atom 1.30.0
Electron 2.0.5
Chrome 61.0.3163.100
Node v8.9.3


No, it’s just that barebones plotly always shows in the browser. Use plotlyjs instead if you want the plot pane.


Yeah, looks like this is the reason.

Nevertheless, when i switch to plotlyjs() i get another error.
I should better post a new question about concrete error and post a link to solution here later.


RROR: LoadError: type SyncPlot has no field view
[1] getproperty(::Any, ::Symbol) at ./sysimg.jl:18
[2] _create_backend_figure(::Plots.Plot{Plots.PlotlyJSBackend}) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Plots/EJpx2/src/backends/plotlyjs.jl:15
[3] #invokelatest#1 at ./essentials.jl:686 [inlined]
[4] invokelatest at ./essentials.jl:685 [inlined]
[5] _plot_setup(::Plots.Plot{Plots.PlotlyJSBackend}, ::Dict{Symbol,Any}, ::Array{Dict{Symbol,Any},1}) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Plots/EJpx2/src/pipeline.jl:215
[6] _plot!(::Plots.Plot{Plots.PlotlyJSBackend}, ::Dict{Symbol,Any}, ::Tuple{Array{Float64,1}}) at ./logging.jl:313
[7] #plot#132(::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}}, ::Function, ::Array{Float64,1}) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Plots/EJpx2/src/plot.jl:57
[8] plot(::Array{Float64,1}) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Plots/EJpx2/src/plot.jl:51
[9] top-level scope at none:0
[10] include_string(::Module, ::String, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1002
[11] (::getfield(Atom, Symbol("##118#123")){String,String,Module})() at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Atom/WSz3k/src/eval.jl:120
[12] withpath(::getfield(Atom, Symbol("##118#123")){String,String,Module}, ::String) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/CodeTools/hB4Hy/src/utils.jl:30
[13] withpath at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Atom/WSz3k/src/eval.jl:46 [inlined]
[14] #117 at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Atom/WSz3k/src/eval.jl:117 [inlined]
[15] hideprompt(::getfield(Atom, Symbol("##117#122")){String,String,Module}) at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Atom/WSz3k/src/repl.jl:76
[16] macro expansion at /Users/user/.julia/packages/Atom/WSz3k/src/eval.jl:116 [inlined]
[17] (::getfield(Atom, Symbol("##116#121")){Dict{String,Any}})() at ./task.jl:85
in expression starting at /Users/user/Programming/science/topography/julia/matrix_approach.jl:12