Julia can not start inside Atom

Okay, so short term you should just be able to launch Atom from a cmd window and things should work fine (hopefully).

Long term you should figure out why your System PATH is broken – by default you should have a lot more entries in there:

Not all of those are necessary I think, but AFAICT you should definitely have the C:\Windows ones or the %SystemRoot% ones. You might be able to find the missing ones with echo %PATH% in a cmd terminal.

Update the system environment variables, as returned by the command executed in windows cmd:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.523]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user>echo %PATH%
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Windows;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2018.3.2\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.33.1\resources\app\apm\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Julia-1.0.3\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Windows;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\GitHubDesktop\bin;C:\Program Files\JetBrains\IntelliJ IDEA 2018.3.2\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.33.1\resources\app\apm\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\atom\bin;C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Julia-1.0.3\bin;

C:\Users\user>

And now runs without problems Julia from Atom!

@GRACIAS

2 Likes

Great, glad you got Juno working now! Enjoy :slight_smile:

I have the same exact issue but I didn´t understand the solution

Julia can not start in Atom. I had the same problem with macOS.
First installed the Julia app from julialant.org and looked if it works on itself. which it did.
Then installed Juno-client and Juno plus in Atom and looked if they worked.
They work but when I started Julia server Atom gave a message that the path to Julia was not right.
So in Atom open settings. From the menu choose Juno and in the dropdown menu you see Settings.
A Settings page is opened in Atom foor Julia settings.
Then how to find the path to Julia?
Open a terminal and start Julia from the command line.
You will see the line exec and /Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/Julia followed by the Julia logo.
Copy and paste the “/Applications/Julia-1.0.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/Julia” from your terminal into the settings page of Julia in Atom and your done.

Take it for a test spin by shutting down Julia through the Juno menu in Atom and start up Julia again to see if the warning has gone.

Hi there, this is kind of old problem but I just had it. What I ended up doing was going to the julia-client package, then to Settings and erase the Julia Path. When you erase everything, it automatically fills up with “Default: julia” and it just worked.