Where are Julia users who want to meet up?

I thought it might be useful to have a single thread to collect where everyone looking for a potential meet up is located and whether or not they’d be willing to help with organization. So, to kick things off…

• Willing to Organize: No
  • Willing to Assist an Organizer: Yes
  • Topics of Interest: Evolutionary Modeling, Bioinformatics, Image Processing, Machine Learning

At the moment I still have a number of projects keeping me pretty busy, so I don’t have a lot of time to call around for venues, but I’d be happy to help out with organization/setup/teardown if there are other people in South Florida interested in getting together.

6 Likes
  • Willing to Organize: No
  • Topics of Interest: aerospace, vehicle simulation, guidance, navigation, and control, and getting NASA support for Julia (they’ve already funded 1 Julia project!)
3 Likes
2 Likes
  • Willing to Organize: Yes
  • can provide room w/ projector
  • Topics of Interest: Economics, Bayesian Statistics, Big medium-sized :stuck_out_tongue: data
2 Likes
  • Willing to Organise: Yes
  • can provide room with Projector (at the Erlangen Centre for Astroparticle Physics)
  • Topics of Interest: Physics, Big Data, Machine Learning
2 Likes
  • Willing to organize: I’d rather not
  • Willing to assist as an organizer: yes
  • Topics of interest: ecology, graph theory, machine learning, distributed computing, using Julia for teaching
  • Can provide (small) room with (bad) projector, or help find decent locations
2 Likes
  • Topics of Interest: Econometrics, Nonlinear Optimization, Machine Learning
1 Like
  • Topics of Interest: Machine Learning, Bayesian Stats, Probabilistic Programming, Topological Data Analysis
2 Likes

What this thread lacks is a way to show interest as a participant. Like/private message?

I wonder if it wouldn’t be more interesting to do “scientific computing” meetups, along the same vein as PyData.

I personally would be glad to entertain a private message, but I think it might help for gauging interest/organizing locally if everyone who would be willing to attend a meet up (even if they can’t donate time organizing) posted here. Originally I was thinking of this thread as a poor-mans database of Julia devs (or at least Julia-curious) who are looking to get together.

I’d definitely encourage anyone who does see this thread to reach out to a wider community than just Julia for meet ups and events. That said, I think there would still be use in having Julia-focused events since not everyone interested in Julia the language will have the same applications in mind.

2 Likes

Willing to Organize: Yes
Willing to Assist an Organizer: Yes
Topics of Interest: Physics, Big Data, Machine Learning, Buzz Words

// in the process of locking down a venue (was thinking thirsty ear pub on campus)

Submit a talk proposal if you live in the greater camberville area :slight_smile:

https://goo.gl/forms/TkqilLHNaNKu2kP92

3 Likes

We’ve done a couple of meetings in Barcelona:

Coorganizers wanted: Badly!
Topics of Interest: Learning Julia, Data Science, Machine Learning, High performance computing, Julia for the web

1 Like
  • Willing to Organize: Possibly
  • Topics of Interest: Pure & Applied Mathematics, Computer Algebra, Aerospace, Number Theory

A few months ago I already organized a presentation at university here and I am planning for another one, although it is aimed towards members of the math department here

2 Likes

Willing to Organize: Would prefer not to
Topics of Interest: Aerospace; tracking and estimation; spacecraft guidance, navigation & control

Actually, PyData (despite the Py in the name) is supposed to be inclusive of the larger theme of scientific computing and data science. We are working with NumFocus to have Julia tracks in PyData and make Julia more visible in PyData.

We can also do more with PyData meetups as well. Any suggestions along those lines are much appreciated. We need a couple of folks to help organize all this and help overcome the activation energy.

9 Likes

Topics of Interest: Healthcare, Database Access, Data Transformations

4 Likes
  • Willing to Organize : Possibly
  • Willing to Assist an Organizer : Yes
  • Topics of Interest : Anything really, but language fundamentals, graphics, Graphs (Networks), finance, game theory, politics (gerrymandering), natural language processing, machine learning
  • Objective : Provide a local community that can help develop people’s understanding and usage of Julia
    [/quote]
1 Like

We’ve had a few small meetups so far, but are always looking for more people to join!

• Willing to Organize : Yes
  • Topics of Interest: Anything Julia related, with a focus on the web and data.

Anyone who is interested please PM me here or on Slack and I’ll make sure to include you the next time we’re organizing one.

Willing to Organize: Prefer not
Topics of Interest: machine learning, cuda integration, random optimization projects (check out one github project around fast machine learning for specific use case: https://github.com/Blackbody-Research/FCANN.jl)

• Willing to Organize : Yes
  • Willing to Assist an Organizer : Yes
  • Topics of Interest : Image Processing, Machine Learning, APIs, anything that is Julia-related
  • Objective : Start a local community where people can learn and share their experience with Julia language (we have also just started a meetup group: https://www.meetup.com/Bucharest-Julia-Meetup/)
2 Likes