A very old command window (from Windows 7 and before).
The really important point would be that in the REPL of vscode it is displayed correctly. Since vscode is using PowerShell and the letter is not correctly displayed in PowerShell, vscode can probably not do anything (or does someone knows some hack)?
It works for me on VS Code on Windows 10. I installed the fonts, then set the font in the settings (screenshot below) and then reloaded the window, and it showed up in both the terminal in VS Code and in the main part of the window.
I’m not sure what that refers to? If you start a Julia REPL in VS Code with the extension command, no PowerShell is involved anywhere.
Sorry, this was a misunderstanding from my side.
Just to make it clear: I start vscode (with Julia extension), then type in “julia” in the terminal window to start julia and then write “\biM” with tab completion or copy it from the web-browser (Julia manual). The letter is not shown.
Can ligatures combine two characters into the space of one? If so, it might be kind of cool if this package had ligatures for .+, .*, etc… which were squashed together to take up the space of only one character, making broadcast expresssion take up less space / easier to read. This would be a pretty uniquely Julia thing and would really only make sense in the context of this Julia-specific font.
Hi Marius that’s a cool idea! Yes, it’s possible to replace any number of characters with a single glyph. So this is possible:
You say “take up less space”/“easier to read” - but I don’t think those are the same thing. It’s true, you do save a space. But I’m not so sure it’s easier to read… It looks good on a high-res screen enlarged, true, but at 10 point on a non-HD device I think you might easily mistake that for a smudgy +.
Also worth pointing out that not all text environments render these alternate glyphs: true terminals and editors might do, but Juno/VS Code terminals and Github won’t, for example.
I can see the justification for the .+ space saving. It would help with understanding code.
But please, a plea from someone with older eyes. Make sure it is clear.
I use a 17 point font when editing with visual editors anyway, so my plea does not apply to those ninjas who edit with an 8 point font. (*)
(*) I am exaggerating for effect. No one does that. Right?
Are you sure that’s the wrong font? It’s hard for me to tell. My test is
julia> using REPL
julia> REPL.REPLCompletions.latex_symbols["\\julialogo"] = "\ue800"
and seeing the three dots of the Julia logo. (I just did that in powershell via VS Code and it worked fine). Note in the last line I typed \julialogo and then tab to complete it, resulting in the unicode character (which probably just shows up as an empty box in the browser!). Alternatively, just copy that character to the terminal and see if you see the 3 dots.
I’m concerned this would break alignments in source files when viewed/edited with another font, which would suck for collaboration. I’m OK with using fancy Unicode characters that need a font with good Unicode support (hopefully widespread one day), but changing the positions of characters in a monospace font seems wrong.