Julia v1.7.0 has been released and v1.6 is now LTS

The Julia developers are pleased to announce the release of Julia v1.7.0, the seventh minor release in the 1.x series. Some folks put together a blog post highlighting some of the most exciting new features in 1.7 and we encourage everyone to check it out. As usual, there is also the NEWS file for the full set of release notes.

As a minor release, v1.7.0 contains no breaking changes, only new features, performance improvements, and marginal, non-disruptive changes in behavior. Head over to https://julialang.org/downloads to download 1.7 for macOS (Intel and M1 processors), Windows (32- and 64-bit), glibc Linux (x86, x86_64, and AArch64), musl Linux (x86_64), and FreeBSD (x86_64).

We encourage everyone to give it a try. Packages can test with 1.7.0 on CI by specifying 1.7 on Travis, AppVeyor, Cirrus , and (soon) GitHub Actions. As always, let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues.

We are also pleased to announce that Julia 1.6 is now the current long-term support (LTS) release, replacing 1.0.

It has been a long time since Julia 1.0 was released—just over three years. Since then, Julia has evolved significantly (notably including massive improvements in multithreading that landed in 1.3, among many other things) and the ecosystem has grown substantially. Eventually it became difficult to continue to effectively maintain support for 1.0, both for Julia itself (even non-breaking changes can make backporting commits to a three-year-old branch a nightmare) and for packages who want to take advantage of the latest and greatest features. It was time to provide an update to the folks who want a maximally stable Julia experience, and Julia 1.6, a current release with some shiny features of its own, seemed a prime candidate.

With this, Julia 1.0 is now officially unmaintained. Downloads for Julia 1.0 are still available on the Old Releases page, alongside all other prior, now-unmaintained releases.

179 Likes

Congrats! Just in time for advent of code! :laughing:

23 Likes

Congrats!

Note that Julia’s choice to use ILP64 or LP64 is still a compile-time decision, and that even if you load OpenBLAS32_jll to provide LP64 symbols, Julia will still use ILP64 on 64-bit platforms by default.

I wish the next version will be able to provide choice between ILP64 and LP64 at runtime.
Performance wise LP64 is faster and probably can handle and the difference is even bigger when dealing with sparse matrices (Which aren’t part of classic BLAS but still, the concept of the indices of matrices).

2 Likes

great! Hopefully with the new LTS, this will motivate sites like repl.it to upgrade.

they have been stuck on 1.3 for a while but are very useful for showing off julia: Julia Online Compiler & Interpreter - Replit

3 Likes

The repl.it situation will hopefully be resolved soon, I have a call with them next week. Stay tuned!

32 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Deprecations warnings from Atom with v1.7

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to use the faster compressed registry on v1.7 after updating?

Congrats and many thanks for your hard work!

Is this version of Julia considered an upgrade compared to Julia 1.7.0 - rc3?

2 Likes

Installing Julia via homebrew on MacOS/ARM64 seems broken as it now installs the native (ARM64) version.

ARM64 support still seems some months away: https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/issues/36617.

Did anyone run into problems with installing Julia from the Microsoft Store? It did not recognize julia from the Path anymore, so I could not run it anymore from the command line. Moreover, the VSCode extension did not recognize it. This was all on Windows 11. Any hints?

Btw, I also installed Julia 1.7 from the binary, and also ran into problems with the path. Weirdly, I can run the julia command from my desktop, but not from other folders. Any suggestions there? Everything worked smoothly with 1.7.0-rc3

1 Like

Please note: we do not recommend using Homebrew to install Julia.

The officially recommended approach for installing Julia is to download the official binaries directly from https://julialang.org/downloads/.

6 Likes

Could you please open an issue on the https://github.com/JuliaLang/juliaup repository?

2 Likes

Sure, thank you. I will try it again later today to be sure that it was not a fluke. Then I’ll open an issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations! I’m eager to test it. Also, it seems there is a problem with the .pdf version of the Julia Documentation: it’s not available (404 error).

Some of my packages broke during update now I am into 1.7 and Jupyter Notebook stopped printing output on my more intense computational stuff. It’s giving me the creeps.

Leave it with me. For now I am just expressing my feelings. Excitement about 1.7; doubt about my package management.

2 Likes

I use jill and a startup script to be able to use different Julia versions per project. Something like this:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

jill switch 1.7

if test -f "MakieSysdev.so"; then
    julia -t auto -J MakieSysdev.so --project 
else
    julia -t auto --project
fi

Would be nice if there would be an official cross platform solution for this.

2 Likes

That’s cool

I use Linux so this works

Also for me Jupyter could have different kernel specs