Julia v1.7.0-beta3 is now available

The Julia developers are pleased to announce that the third beta release for Julia v1.7.0 is now available. You can download binaries at https://julialang.org/downloads in the “upcoming release” section for macOS (x86-64 and—making its debut—AArch64!), FreeBSD (x86-64), Windows (32-, 64-bit), and glibc Linux (i686, x86-64, AArch64, PowerPC). Check out the NEWS file to see what will be new in 1.7.0.

As a beta version, this should not be considered production-ready. Rather, it’s intended to give users, especially package developers, a chance to try our their code with 1.7.0 prior to a full release. Note that 1.7 on Travis, AppVeyor, Cirrus, and GitHub Actions now refers to 1.7.0-beta3.

Let us know in the issue tracker if you run into any issues. Please note that any bugs you may encounter should be posted there rather than being discussed in this thread to ensure visibility to the developers.

And a note to ARM-based Mac users: x86 macOS binaries should still work on ARM-based Macs with Rosetta, but the new AArch64 macOS binaries do not require the compatibility layer.

40 Likes

Not sure if it’s intended, but in the Linux x86-64 glibc download the root folder is called julia-e76c9dad42 instead of julia-1.7.0-beta3.

3 Likes

Yes, same in the Windows archives, the sub-folder has a different naming pattern than in previous downloads, and that breaks the auto-update in juliaup

1 Like

Fixed this on the juliaup end.

So, as a bit of advertisement: if you are using juliaup on Windows (see here for an intro), then you can just get the beta channel by running juliaup add beta and it will install this beta version. To start it, you can then run julia +beta. If you already have the beta channel installed, you’ll do juliaup update beta and it will update it to this beta 3 build for you.

11 Likes

I notice that 1.7 seems to have lost about 10% package loading time across a small set of packages I just tried. Here’s one example which is typical of what I saw:

# 1.6.1
julia> @time using Zygote
  4.690558 seconds (8.42 M allocations: 556.164 MiB, 3.56% gc time, 0.14% compilation time)

# 1.7.0-beta3
julia> @time using Zygote
  5.522239 seconds (9.62 M allocations: 579.262 MiB, 2.91% gc time, 0.20% compilation time)

This isn’t huge, but its a little disconceting to see this go the wrong direction after 1.6 was such an improvement. Is any of this known / being tracked anywhere?

26 Likes

Does that mean that macOS AArch64 will be moved up the tier system for supported platforms at the time of release?

3 Likes