C:\Users\densb>juliaup st
Installed Julia channels (default marked with *):
     lts
  *  release

C:\Users\densb>julia +release
               _
   _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.6.4 (2021-11-19)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  Official https://julialang.org/ release

It seems as if 1.7 is not yet there for juliaup. Does anyone know when this will happen, and how much later one should expect juliaup to add new releases?

Did you update juliaup on the Windows store? I have no idea how juliaup works, but @davidanthoff last night (European night) and there are users on Slack reporting that they successfully updated, using juliaup version 1.4.1

4 Likes

Right. I have

C:\Users\densb>juliaup -V
juliaup 1.2.19

I will update julia in the store, and try again!

Updating juliaup to 1.4.1 did the trick. Thnx!

2 Likes

I must admit this is a bummer. Do I need to go to the Windows Store to update Juliaup, in order to be able to update Julia from the command line?

My work laptop does not play nice with the windows store, and it was a lot of hassle to get juliaup installed in the first place. Do I need to go through that process for every update?

(In fact, I don’t even know how to get the Store to work, I just mess around enabling and disabling some vpn-like service it has, re-boot, and try to access the Store several times, and then it will randomly work on one of my attempts. Then there’s the reverse process to get back to normal operations.)

1 Like

Well, despite my complaining, I was able to update on my first attempt, and v1.7 is now up and running.

But I’m still wondering why Juliaup needs to be updated in order for it to be able to serve up the latest release. Shouldn’t those two things be decoupled?

1 Like

I am guessing that development is happening quickly with juliaup, as it is very new and still somewhat experimental. So backwards compatability is not a priority.

Just guessing tho.

Probably should (Use the published `versions.json` instead of listing versions in source code? · Issue #131 · JuliaLang/juliaup · GitHub). But right now, it gets hardcoded into the release.

4 Likes

That is great! Did you have to do anything, or did it just work?

It makes things a lot easier: we can just rely on the store to do all updating of juliaup in the background, we don’t need to worry about version info and code getting out of sync etc. Getting a really robust background update service going is not trivial at all, and the store essentially provides it for free to us.

I agree, that is really great to have! Just one remark, I found that the store doesn’t always automatically update juliaup in the background, or at least not immediately. In that case, one might have to manually click update in the store (since an update is indeed available). Not sure what causes that delay though, it may have something to do with IT permissions on corporate computers, or with VPN restrictions,…

Yes, the exact schedule on which the store updates things is a bit of a mystery :wink: I think I have a strategy so that at one point juliaup self update can trigger a store update. But that is not high on my priority list right now, finishing the Linux and Mac support is :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I had to disable a VPN-ish service that the IT department wants me to run. This often doesn’t help, and the windows store complains I’m ‘not logged in’, though the Store app shows I’m logged in, and I can’t log in with a different user.

If updating requires the store, I guess I will have to disable the ‘vpn’, and try to trigger it manually. Will this be for every patch release, or just for the ‘point’-releases?

At the moment all updates go through the Windows Store…

Ok, this is what happens if you give an unfocused individual like myself an idea: I have now implemented juliaup self update for the Windows Store version. Running that command is equivalent to manually going to the store, checking for updates and then installing an update for Julia if it is there. The version of juliaup that has this is 1.5.0, and it should show up in the store in a few hours.

No progress on the Linux and Mac side is the downside of this :wink:

8 Likes