Julia is running only with root user and for other users throwing error "could not load library sys.so"

Hi All,
Julia is working with root user only and not working with other users. It is throwing the following error message. Please advise
Julia: 0.6.2.2

ERROR: could not load library “/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2/…/lib/julia/sys.so”
/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2/…/lib/julia/sys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks
Kaleem

Where is Julia installed? What command do you run to start it?

Julia is installed on Ubuntu 16.04 under /julia folder and running julia command on command prompt as well as tried going inside the folder where julia command is but no success.

Best Regards,
MK

What the exact path to the julia executable? What does ldd print when called on that file (both under the root user and under other users)?

Probably you copied it there as root and didn’t set the permissions correctly on that directory. Try chmod -R a+rX /julia (as root or via sudo)

It sounds like you installed JuliaPro to the root directory, probably using sudo. The JuliaPro docs suggest installing to your home directory as:

./JuliaPro-0.6.2.2.sh /home/julia/

Maybe try reinstalling with that command, and not using sudo?

Thanks. I will try to install as you said and let you know.

Best Regards,
MK

Hi Steven,

I did provided 777 permission on the /julia folder and subfolders too but it didn’t work.

Best Regards,
MK

Hi,
I tried installing in my local user as mentioned below but it is giving permission denied error.

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/avadmin/.local/lib/python3.6’

Please advise

Thanks

It seems like that is probably owned by root and does not have the world read bit set. You may want to do some liberal chowning of your home directory.

Hi,

Now, even installation is giving error as shown below. I have tried with Sudo and as login as root too but no luck.

WITH SUDO

avadmin@cibcaivm1:~/Downloads$ sudo ./JuliaPro-0.6.2.2_build-314.sh /julia2

JuliaPro installation has started, please wait until all the files are extracted

OS Detected: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Online Installation : Requires internet access

Like: Ubuntu

Checking pre-requisites…

Installing JuliaPro-0.6.2.2 to /julia2

Running postinstall script

ERROR: could not load library “/usr/share/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2//…/lib/julia/sys.so”

/usr/share/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2//…/lib/julia/sys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

postinstall script run

/home/avadmin/Downloads

WITH ROOT USER

root@cibcaivm1:/home/avadmin/Downloads# ./JuliaPro-0.6.2.2_build-314.sh /usr/share/julia1

JuliaPro installation has started, please wait until all the files are extracted

OS Detected: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS

Online Installation : Requires internet access

Like: Ubuntu

Checking pre-requisites…

Installing JuliaPro-0.6.2.2 to /usr/share/julia1

Running postinstall script

ERROR: could not load library “/usr/share/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2//…/lib/julia/sys.so”

/usr/share/julia/JuliaPro-0.6.2.2//…/lib/julia/sys.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

postinstall script run

/home/avadmin/Downloads

Rather than running as root you should fix the file permissions so that you can run as your normal user.

I gave full permission to complete folder and sub folders where julia is installed but no luck.

Best Regards,
MK