Problem Installing Juliapro

I downloaded the current version of Juliapro (1.0.2.1). I created a directory to install it (/var/julia) and ran the install. The install finished with no problems. But, when I try to use Juno or the REPL I get the following error:

ERROR: LoadError: IOError: open: permission denied (EACCES)
Stacktrace:
[1] uv_error at ./libuv.jl:85 [inlined]
[2] open(::String, ::UInt16, ::UInt16) at ./filesystem.jl:81
[3] touch(::String) at ./file.jl:404
[4] write_env_usage(::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:428
[5] Pkg.Types.EnvCache(::Nothing) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:308
[6] Type at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:287 [inlined]
[7] #activate#64(::Bool, ::Function, ::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:513
[8] activate(::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:511
[9] top-level scope at none:0
[10] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[11] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[12] include at ./sysimg.jl:29 [inlined]
[13] load_julia_startup() at ./client.jl:288
[14] exec_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./logging.jl:312
[15] _start() at ./client.jl:425
in expression starting at /var/julia/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/etc/julia/startup.jl:12

If I run with sudo it runs ok, but I really don’t what to do that. Any advise on how to find what file is not accessable? Any other advise?

Thanks for any help.

Gene

Are you still having this issue?

Julia’s package manager store information in “depots”. You can see a list of depots on your system with the variable DEPOT_PATH. The first entry in this list is usually something like ~/.julia.

Its likely that you are not the owner of the file at ~/.julia/logs/manifest_usage.toml.

Yes I’m still having the issue. I checked the following the shell variable DEPOT_PATH is not set. I’m the owner and have full control of ~/.julia/logs/manifest_usage.toml

Thanks for the suggestions.

DEPOT_PATH is not a shell variable. Its a julia variable.

julia> DEPOT_PATH
3-element Array{String,1}:
 "/home/nur0n/.julia"                           
 "/home/nur0n/pkg/julia-1.0.1/local/share/julia"
 "/home/nur0n/pkg/julia-1.0.1/share/julia"      

What is the first entry for you?

First my apologizes for not getting to this sooner.

Mine looks like this:

“/home/genel/.juliapro”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/JuliaPro/pkgs-1.0.2.1”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/local/share/julia”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/share/julia”

I made sure I had read/write access to all of those directories. The problem still occurs.

Gene

I had exactly the same problem with a different install location (in my home directory). My DEPOT_PATH looks similar:

“/home/chk/.juliapro”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/JuliaPro/pkgs-1.0.2.1”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/local/share/julia”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/share/julia”

Originally, ‘root’ was the owner of the directory listed first and its sub-directories (but not of the others). I changed this but to no avail.

I deleted all directories created by JuliaPro and re-installed ‘JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh’ without ‘sudo’. Now the problem has disappeared. I don’t mind a truly local install, in fact, it makes my life easier at work, but of course the problem remains if you want to install it for all users of a Linux machine.

Chris

2 Likes

I had this issue because I tried JuliaPro and installed with sudo then installed 1.1.0 separately. Deleting the old ~/.julia file solved the problem

1 Like