Problem Installing Juliapro


#1

I downloaded the current version of Juliapro (1.0.2.1). I created a directory to install it (/var/julia) and ran the install. The install finished with no problems. But, when I try to use Juno or the REPL I get the following error:

ERROR: LoadError: IOError: open: permission denied (EACCES)
Stacktrace:
[1] uv_error at ./libuv.jl:85 [inlined]
[2] open(::String, ::UInt16, ::UInt16) at ./filesystem.jl:81
[3] touch(::String) at ./file.jl:404
[4] write_env_usage(::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:428
[5] Pkg.Types.EnvCache(::Nothing) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:308
[6] Type at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Types.jl:287 [inlined]
[7] #activate#64(::Bool, ::Function, ::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:513
[8] activate(::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/API.jl:511
[9] top-level scope at none:0
[10] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[11] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[12] include at ./sysimg.jl:29 [inlined]
[13] load_julia_startup() at ./client.jl:288
[14] exec_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./logging.jl:312
[15] _start() at ./client.jl:425
in expression starting at /var/julia/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/etc/julia/startup.jl:12

If I run with sudo it runs ok, but I really don’t what to do that. Any advise on how to find what file is not accessable? Any other advise?

Thanks for any help.

Gene


#2

Are you still having this issue?

Julia’s package manager store information in “depots”. You can see a list of depots on your system with the variable DEPOT_PATH. The first entry in this list is usually something like ~/.julia.

Its likely that you are not the owner of the file at ~/.julia/logs/manifest_usage.toml.


#3

Yes I’m still having the issue. I checked the following the shell variable DEPOT_PATH is not set. I’m the owner and have full control of ~/.julia/logs/manifest_usage.toml

Thanks for the suggestions.


#4

DEPOT_PATH is not a shell variable. Its a julia variable.

julia> DEPOT_PATH
3-element Array{String,1}:
 "/home/nur0n/.julia"                           
 "/home/nur0n/pkg/julia-1.0.1/local/share/julia"
 "/home/nur0n/pkg/julia-1.0.1/share/julia"      

What is the first entry for you?


#5

First my apologizes for not getting to this sooner.

Mine looks like this:

“/home/genel/.juliapro”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/JuliaPro/pkgs-1.0.2.1”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/local/share/julia”
“/var/juliapro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/share/julia”

I made sure I had read/write access to all of those directories. The problem still occurs.

Gene


#6

I had exactly the same problem with a different install location (in my home directory). My DEPOT_PATH looks similar:

“/home/chk/.juliapro”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/JuliaPro/pkgs-1.0.2.1”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/local/share/julia”
“/home/chk/JuliaPro/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/share/julia”

Originally, ‘root’ was the owner of the directory listed first and its sub-directories (but not of the others). I changed this but to no avail.

I deleted all directories created by JuliaPro and re-installed ‘JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh’ without ‘sudo’. Now the problem has disappeared. I don’t mind a truly local install, in fact, it makes my life easier at work, but of course the problem remains if you want to install it for all users of a Linux machine.

Chris


#7

I had this issue because I tried JuliaPro and installed with sudo then installed 1.1.0 separately. Deleting the old ~/.julia file solved the problem