I am not able to use julia in vscode

I have recently installed vscode , when i try to use julia in vs code i got below error. can somebody help me to install julia in vscode

Could not start the Julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the Julia binary.

So… does it point to the binary?

1 Like

Sorry,im new to programming language. i didnt understand what binaries mean. but it is mentioned this " Could not start the Julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the Julia binary. "

Go to your preferences and search for julia path, this should be the path to the location of julia.exe on your computer or blank if julia has been added to the PATH environment variable. It sounds like it hasn’t, so google “add julia to path” and follow the instructions.

2 Likes

copy-pasting from the instructions under the Julia extension:

Getting started

Installing Julia/VS Code/VS Code Julia extension

1. Install Julia for your platform: Download Julia
  2. Install VS Code for your platform: Download Visual Studio Code - Mac, Linux, Windows At the end of this step you should be able to start VS Code.
  3. Choose Install in the VS Code Marketplace; or manually install with:
  4. Start VS Code.
  5. Inside VS Code, go to the extensions view either by executing the View: Show Extensions command (click View->Command Palette…) or by clicking on the extension icon on the left side of the VS Code window.
  6. In the extensions view, simply search for the term julia in the marketplace search box, then select the extension named Julia and click the install button. You might have to restart VS Code after this step.

Configure the Julia extension

If you have installed Julia into a standard location on Mac or Windows, or if the Julia binary is on your PATH , the Julia VS Code extension should automatically find your Julia installation and you should not need to configure anything.

If the extension does not find your Julia installation automatically, or if you want to use a different Julia installation than the default one, you can set the julia.executablePath to point to the Julia executable that the extension should use. In that case the extension will always use that version of Julia. To edit your configuration settings, execute the Preferences: Open User Settings command (you can also access it via the menu File->Preferences->Settings ), and then make sure your user settings include the julia.executablePath setting. The format of the string should follow your platform specific conventions, and be aware that the backlash \ is the escape character in JSON, so you need to use \\ as the path separator character on Windows.

I have tested Julia 1.7.x and 1.6.1-1.6.5 on multi OS. And I can almost sure that you are running Julia 1.7.x on Win 7. It’s a bug from 1.7 therefore Julia 1.7.x can not be started from vscode or Atom with juno but Jupyter with IJulia.

im running on mac os m1. and i never tried to install windows in it.

It is good to know that this issue has at least been identified. That is my situation (julia 1.7.x on Win 7). Is it being worked on?

Note that Windows 7 is not a supported platform, so willingness to investigate and fix issues with it might be limited.