Could not start Julia server; problem with julia.executablePath (on MacOS)

Hello everyone. I’m just getting started using VS Code with the Julia extension and when I try to run some very simple Julia code, this error comes up about the executable Path: “Could not start the Julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the Julia binary.” When I go to the settings it suggests, it says it points to the Julia executable, but I’m not sure if there’s something else I need to write in the box below to configure things correctly? Thank you!

For example

should do.

I need to use my current path in the box? How do I figure out what that is?
Thanks.

You don’t need to add your Julia installation path in the box, as the Julia VSCode extension says:

If you have installed Julia into a standard location on Mac or Windows, or if the Julia binary is on your PATH , the Julia VS Code extension should automatically find your Julia installation and you should not need to configure anything.

What operating system are you using?
Where did you download and unzip the Julia binary from Download Julia?

If it’s not automatically found by VSCode , yes, you need to give the path to the executable of Julia.

And this depends on your system. On Windows you can right click on the symbol of Julia and open the properties and see the path.

BY THE WAY: you have Julia installed?
Because you only say VSCode + Julia-Extension. This is not enough, you need to install Julia itself.
But tell us on which system you are, there may be better ways to install Julia.
For Windows e.g. install Julia from the Microsoft Store. With that you don’t have specify the executable in VSCode.

I am using a Mac. I have Julia installed, I dowloaded the Mac version from julialang.org and unzipped it in a folder on my desktop.

I re-downloaded Julia and restarted VSCode, wrote a couple lines of simple code and tried to run it and this error appeared: “Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘file’); Open ‘launch.json’” and when I open that, this is what is there. Do I need to change something here?

We need some Mac users here to help…

If you downloaded https://julialang-s3.julialang.org/bin/mac/x64/1.7/julia-1.7.3-mac64.dmg, copy Julia-1.7.app into the Applications folder.
→ I’m not sure though, if VS Code picks up this install location. (Maybe a restart of VS Code is required)

If you downloaded https://julialang-s3.julialang.org/bin/mac/x64/1.7/julia-1.7.3-mac64.tar.gz, you need to extract it to a location that is in PATH.

2 Likes

I am installing Julia via MacPorts which uses /opt/local/bin as install location and adds it automatically to PATH.

(Terminal.app: echo $PATH)

There is also JupyterLab + code-server + Julia :wink:.

Thank you, this worked!

1 Like