Julia 1.1 doesn't start in VSCode (Could not start the julia language server)

Hi All,

My errors:

Could not start the julia language server. Make sure the configuration setting julia.executablePath points to the julia binary.

I’m working on:

Windows 10
Julia 1.1.0 (2019-01-21)
VSCode 1.32.3

I set up the path:
“julia.executablePath”: “C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Julia-1.1.0\julia.exe”

I’ve seen a lot of similar issue for Julia 1.0 on the Internet.
Any idea?

Try to not configure that setting at all, the extension should find the julia binary automatically (especially if it is in that location).

If you do want to configure it, you need to escape \ properly, because the config setting is JSON. So you need to use \\ for every backslash in the path.

Thank, you @davidanthoff.

Of course, I put double slash (it does not help).
"julia.executablePath": "C:\\Users\\<username>\\AppData\\Local\\Julia-1.1.0\\julia.exe"

The extension did not find the julia binary automatically…

Are you sure there is not a bin folder in the end you are missing?

I reinstalled Julia and VSCode and restarted the machine. Now I can run Julia but autocomplete and refactoring doesn’t work.

Yes, that is another problem: our language server is currently not functional on julia 1.1… There is a PR now pending that might fix this, so fingers crossed this situation won’t last too long. Maybe we can at least fix it before julia 1.2 is released :wink:

1 Like

Thank you @davidanthoff , I hope you guys will fix it.

@davidanthoff,
I’ve installed your release candidate v0.11.5-rc1.
It doesn’t work for me…

Are you running this inside a workspace (run code some/directory or click File > Open Workspace...)? I’ve noticed that when I only open a single file it doesn’t work.

Thank you @tribut.
If I use “Workspace” it works. But in the case of “open folder,” it doesn’t work.