2017 JuliaCon videos

Don’t be silly, I’m sure they hardly take any time at all to do their compression on videos that produce tons of ad revenue. (Excuse my cynicism, I suppose this would be reasonable, I am, however, extremely suspicious of the [unrelated] YouTube video recommendation methods.)

How is this silly? They have a queue per account. Try it. Open an account and throw up a bunch of 4K videos. They will one at a time allow the high resolution versions. It seems like each account gets a queue like Travis. Are you arguing from speculation or experience here?

The slides “freeze” in HiFrames talk by Totoni.
At 23:53 you have the “Optimizing Relational Operations” slide and this does not change at 25:30 although it is clear from the video that the presenter has moved on to the next slide.

Speculation (and with a more jocular tone than seems to have come across).

I find it very hard to believe that videos that are expected to produce a lot of revenue are not somehow prioritized over ones which are not. This speculation is fueled by the fact that I often see recommendations to “NEW!” videos which quickly accumulate lots of views, are themselves basically promotional of something and have dubious relation to anything I had been watching previously and which are in HD or even 4K (granted, it’s possible some of these are not actually new). This conspiracy theory may well be wrong. At best, YouTube has a problem with feedback loops of videos which are recommended because they have lots of views and have lots of views because they are recommended which Google is either unable or unwilling to fix.

Anyway, all that stuff is completely tangential. Some very interesting talks from JuliaCon. Thanks to all the participants.

Would it be possible to get 2017 videos in a playlist?

(It would also be nice to have videos linked from the talk summaries on the website as we’ve done in past years – PR opportunity for someone)

3 Likes