What is Julia named after?

I know Python is named after Monty Python, then evolved into a snake, but I’ve seen no mention of Julia. Is it a name, an acronym, or just made up?

1 Like
2 Likes

Frequently Asked Questions · The Julia Language?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Julia is a mystery, then :grinning: Although I think COBOL should have been named “Grace.”

Maybe one of the creators knew someone named Julia who had a Lisp, so when you asked her name she’d say, “J-J-J-Julia,” which is kind of introspective, or at least recursive :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t buy that “no.” Someone just suddenly thought, “Julia?” At least a TV character or someone’s mom.

3 Likes

There doesn’t have to be any reason other than “it’s a nice name” for this. You may or may not buy that justification - but please keep in mind that there’s no need to personify it. Not everything has to be based on something a human did or is.

5 Likes

you buy whatever you want lol. But hey, you don’t have to pay for Julia…

3 Likes

I like to create a different story for the name every time, so that one day we may have multiple conflicting opinions on what it’s named after/what does it mean.

8 Likes

I like to create a different story for the name every time, so that one day we may have multiple conflicting opinions on what it’s named after/what does it mean.

I found The Joker here!

2 Likes

Mr Julia might disagree with you…

3 Likes

For example: named after the wife of President Ulysses S. Grant.
[not true]

I suspect it was flagged because referring to the language as gendered or comparing it to any particular person is against the community standards.

It’s against the community standards because it is a deeply uncomfortable and insensitive comment to make.

(This is responding to the above commenter who has since deleted their post).

2 Likes

Do not understand why the above post was flagged.

A real cause of discomfort could be the ugly SS-like picture posted above, to which most people would prefer Julia Roberts’ instead.

2 Likes

Given the gendered name “Julia” and the gendered descriptor “pretty”, the language’s name may be inspired by the gendered personal name. However, the policy is to separate the name of the language from the personal name.

Regardless of the name policy or origin, please refrain from personally attacking each other about it. Having a friendly community is most important.

8 Likes

I was one of the morons who while not flagging the post messaged Patrick about it. I would object to that general characterization of me (although I’m sure my kids would often agree!), but more broadly I believe we should adhere to the Julia community standards and code of conduct which we all agreed to when signing up to the forum.

I don’t think there’s any chance anyone would “tackle” PrettyPrint or PrettyTables, given that they evidently are in line with the community standards. I would also point out that while his aims of overall world domination might be considered shady, M. Bison was never a member of the SS.

5 Likes

Fyi, there is unfinished work here and here. Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I think what you’ve written is basically sensible, and in other contexts I might have given you a :hearts:, the notion that personal names are gender-specific is a bit old fashioned?