Change the name of Julia to JULai

The word Julia is hard for Google searches. JULai wouldn’t be confused with anything else.

Edit: Scrap JULai as the name suggestion but a completely unique 1 to 2 syllable word

But Jul is the Swedish name for Christmas so that would be confusing.

6 Likes

FWIW, I just use jl for Julia related searches and that works great.

8 Likes

Would this be better in the Offtopic category?

Also, the name is not going to change now.

3 Likes

Indeed writing julia in any search is a sure way to get you nonsense results. I would recommend julialang, jl, "julia programming language", etc.

3 Likes

First time I’m doing this, hope noone minds. Offtopic is for stuff that doesn’t fit in other categories. I’d say this fits in neither General nor Community so I put it in Off-topic.

1 Like

Julia Bekashed, with the surname derived from the initials of the founding fathers (Be-Ka-Sh-Ed). With a little good will, it even sounds like Johnny Cash…

4 Likes

If “C” made it, Julia has nothing to worry about namewise.

9 Likes

I thought this was going to be a joke about typo-ing Julia as Julai, and so wanting to change the name to accommodate the typo :grinning: Is it just me that makes that typo a lot? At least half my web searches related to Julia start off as ‘julai … …’ before getting corrected!

2 Likes

C wasn’t designed to be googleable. With C, C# and C++ all looking the same to search engines, it’s actually a uniquely difficult language to search.

That would unintentionally draw in the Chris-chan fans and that is not something you want.

You misspelled ‘bikeshed’.

5 Likes

And “julai” (or “julay”) is a comtemptuous insult in Spanish you definitely don’t want to be associated to the project.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that was intentional :grin:

I agree, it is quite subtle.

1 Like

Pretty sure the words Python and Rust were around long before the programming languages of the same name.

1 Like

With google you can use the AND operator to be more specific, for example:

julia AND programming

Tells Google to only show search results for julia if it has any relations with the keyword programming.

1 Like

Google’s algorithms are of course secret, so I can’t know for sure, but I think that your information is very outdated. If one, for example, checks out the Google Advanced Search page, one sees that OR exists as a query operator, but AND isn’t mentioned:
https://www.google.com/advanced_search

On the other hand, it’s possible to just do julia programming instead of julia AND programming.

Yeah i guess you’re right. Starting to think now i don’t even remember where i saw something about AND. Maybe it existed before, but now just multiple words already works as AND worked before.

1 Like