What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

:+1:

I repeat once more,it should be simple, reliable, performant enough for usual tasks, and works out of box.
For the instance, Juno is
1, not simple (coz it consists of the many atom related stuffs)
2. not reliable (coz its base - the atom editor is itself not reliable, and the juno (as plugin) depends from another outer plugins)
3. not performant (for the atom editor is not performant itself)
4. does not work out of box (more over every juno updating still looks like voodoo dancing).

but i still use Juno mainly for it keeps workflow with data smoothly and in slick ways (at least better than any julia solution i am aware of).

2 Likes

Ok, so you want something fast, easy to install, and unlikely to break. Fair enough.
The more interesting aspect to me is what features you want, i.e. what ā€œusual tasksā€/ā€œeffectiveā€ means ā€“ I could just point you to ST3 + Julia REPL and youā€™d have a very robust and fast development environment, but I suspect you want more features than those solutions offer.

3 Likes

FWIW, I still donā€™t understand what you consider simple. Is it about the interface, or the implementation? IDEs are rarely simple from either perspective.

As for working out of the box, I did a clean install of Juno just now following the instructions. In about 4 minutes, I had a working environment (Ubuntu 19.10; I already had Julia installed :wink:).

Now one would have to pry Emacs from my cold, dead fingers, so it was but a nice experiment for me. Yes, I am sure there are bugs, like with any software, but frankly I am not sure how it could be any simpler. A couple of months earlier I experimented with VSCode and it was similar. I think that at this point Julia users are pretty well set up for IDEs.

7 Likes

first of all i do not of much coding - iā€™m mainly working with dataā€¦ so bundle Sublime (or another editor) +plugin is not my choice anywayā€¦
about featuresā€¦ if we are talking about Juno - it is well packed with modern features (to me) and pretty to look uponā€¦ but i like to see at least

1. the mode in which every superfluous Atom stuff will be tweaked or even better reaped off (as much of possible)
  2. better debugger integration (as much like to classical ide debugging process as possible )
2 Likes

hehe just try to install julia+Atom+Juno onto workstation under corporative proxy or firewall ā€¦ and you will understand me wellā€¦

I would say thatā€™s pretty much between you and your IT department ā€” they set up those proxies and firewalls, so they are in the best position to deal with them.

I always find it somewhat puzzling when people working in a corporate environment complain about free tools not working flawlessly because of some self-inflicted quirk of said environment.

5 Likes
  1. :grinning: and what?are IT department people not like me and you ?
  2. and I am NOT

I think I get the simplicity @DIzer is looking for. It is something that all of us want to have at hand whenever we want to make quick things without the need for setting up a lot of stuff.

However, I think it is already there.

For me, Julia REPL + Revise gets you all you are looking for if you combine it with whatever editor is at hand. So REPL + Revise works perfect if you use gedit, or nano or notepad++, and all of them (except nano) have syntax highlighting for Julia.

2 Likes

Although i think Juno ist already very far, i have to admit that it can be a hassle to Install it behind a corporate Firewall. I do think that Juno could be improved in that regard, i would really appreciate If i could Just download a standalone version of Atom with all packages necessary for Juno.
So that the package Download Proxy struggle of Atom and the rights necessary for Installation of software are completly avoided.

My solution right now was to not use Juno, and fallback to sublime.

2 Likes

Sometimes, no they are not. Iā€™ve had an IT guy pretend that he didnā€™t understand what could possibly be the difference between a good monitor and a really shitty monitor. Iā€™ve had IT guys claim that they donā€™t support linux on the VPN when the vendor of the VPN itself does support it. IT seems at least partially responsible for the unbelievably bad practice of having about 10^13 different AWS accounts. Oh, you want to run a new script? New AWS account! Thus far nobody has taken responsiblity for the fact that this practice completely breaks everything.

Corporate IT departments and me donā€™t get along.

1 Like

Maybe you can use BinaryBuilder.jl to create Julia 1.3 Pkg artifact of standalone Juno and even use Pkg to install it.

1 Like

You could download JuliaPro and switch to the General registry (if necessary).

Although

Maybe you can use BinaryBuilder.jl to create Julia 1.3 Pkg artifact of standalone Juno and even use Pkg to install it.

is a cute idea, I might need to play around with that a bit :slight_smile:

I am not certain that i understand what you suggest, but the problems are not stemming from the julia packages, but the atom (node.js) packages that the julia-language extension etc. are depending on. Those can not be installed behind my corporate firewall.

To make the standalone Juno binary installation package. Check the BinaryBuilder.jl itā€™s pretty cool.

1 Like

I used Juno on Linux, Mac and Windows10 for a long time. On Windows 10, I encountered software errors many times after updating the Juno packages. Most of the time, I can solve them luckily, but months ago encountered an error caused by Atom itself and cannot update the plugin of Atom. This issue is reported for many months, but still not solved. Issue: unable to get local issuer certificate

Then, I transferred to VS code Julia extension months before, which looks quite robust on all these three platforms. According to my feeling, Juno has more features but not robust on windows, while VS code has fewer features (such as debug function) but very robust.

Thus, for the friends who use MS Windows and do not want to waste too much time on fixing problems of IDE, I recommend VS code.

4 Likes

I might be missunderstanding something, but can BinaryInstaller bundle non Julia Packages?
I thought it was meant just for julia binaries, I will check it out.

It can build and install whatever you want it to. Bundling all the Juno packages with Atom isnā€™t super trivial though, so the short term solution is to use JuliaPro.

2 Likes

No. REPL+revise is not ide (in convectional sense ) - for it cannot give convenient , management for project that consists from many files (along with another things)ā€¦
Well if you want to FEEL what i mean just install Octave and browse through its ideā€¦

It can but by ME (on my PC) not by you (with your installation only - i must do some things manually) -

And it is not good too, coz for some updating in JuliaPro is FROZEN - the situation is not good when outer components are updating (crucially updating) very oftenā€¦so how many of community components are still not in stable or fullfeatured state?