What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

Is there a video of vim plus Julia? I cannot visualize what it looks like.
I know of :terminal. Is that what you use?

I tried to find something like this on the web, but no luck so far. Any information you might provide could be useful to those who are unsure of what vim could offer to Julia programmers. (Including me, of course.) Thanks!

3 Likes

I would be really interested as well!
I already installed neovim (on windows 10) and made your init.vim work. But i still struggle to get a good workflow.

2 Likes

It’s a bit old, but it’s a video: untitled - asciinema showing Vim with vim-julia and https://github.com/JuliaEditorSupport/deoplete-julia

Or another one (which is more recent): https://github.com/autozimu/LanguageClient-neovim

3 Likes

If you are greedy in the Julia sense of the word, especially if you want for example

• open source, with a liberal license.
  • speed, low latency, moderate use of resources
  • general, not bound to a programming language, yet good interface to and scripting in Julia
  • clean, modern and transparent implementation
  • native interface on many systems
  • ergonomic, respecting muscle memory from other applications and where up is above down and not left of down

then that editor has to be still created. In the meantime one has to go with one of the solutions offered here.

I just run the REPL in a separate terminal.

I use i3 to manage windows, so it doesn’t make much of a difference to me whether things are in the same window or separate windows, it’s a lot like navigating vim regardless. If you are stuck with MacOS or something, you could always use workspaces. You can find my setup here.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, vi can be operated perfectly fine using arrow-keys instead of hjkl.

2 Likes

Nay. It was done around 1991. :wink:

13 Likes

And you can remap any command to literally any key.

1 Like

That’s a surprising thing to suggest. I’ve only mastered vim to the extent that I can do basic edits, but dislike its modal style. I’m a long term user of emacs, and have set up my .emacs to my satisfaction.

Because I also like un*x-style tools, I run Cygwin on my Windows box, and develop my Julia code using Cygwin emacs, and a Windows Julia REPL window. I haven’t tried julia-repl for emacs, but can easily run Julia scripts from within emacs.

I haven’t tried all of this with a Windows emacs, so I can’t speak to that.

2 Likes

Just one more testimony regarding VS Code.
I was a Atom user and changed to VS Code solely because of speed.
But I am am very happy with VS Code now for several other reasons. I use it all the time with julia, fortran, c++ and latex codes. There are powerful plugins for all of them. I use a vim extension that works really well. I’m not an advanced vim user, but so far, I haven’t find anything that I could do with vim that I wasn’t able to do with VS code’s vim plugin.
And recently, VS code folks developed an extension that makes VS code work almost flawlessly remotely, without almost any slowdown whatsoever. I am pretty amazed with the it.

Ps: Atom and Juno still have a special place in my heart and still hope to see it thrive.

8 Likes

That is precisely my point: the Julia repl does not work in Emacs on Windows.

This is somewhat surprising to me. I know of no reason it shouldn’t work. Which doesn’t work?

• inferior-julia-mode bundled with julia-mode
  • julia-repl package
  • emacs-jupyter (jupyter package on melpa) with IJulia

jupyter at least is tested on Windows and should work splendidly.

EDIT: I see from your edit that you’re talking about julia-repl. Have you tried inferior-julia-mode and found it insufficient or tried jupyter with IJulia yet?

Have you made a personal experience with these on Windows? Would you mind sharing?

Please note that unless open an issue on Github, these things can get lost easily. This may be a problem just specific to your setup, some users are using julia-repl on Windows. If you open an issue it can be debugged there and hopefully fixed.

https://github.com/tpapp/julia-repl/issues/20

Has anyone been able to use Windows Emacs successfully with Julia? How did you do it? (Note: I do not mean cygwin.)

Thanks, I reopened that issue. I would appreciate some help from Windows users in figuring this out. Please discuss in the issue.

1 Like

I apologize, I didn’t re-read the message you were responding to, where it said:

I wouldn’t really expect that, of course, and recognise that cygwin is a bit too much overhead for some. But cygwin Emacs interacts with bash very well, so suits my work style, YMMV.

That’s what I was racking my brains trying to remember. It’s been close to 2 years since I actively used emacs on Windows, and I don’t have emacs installed on the one Windows computer I still have to use regularly. I think that I was using inferior-julia-mode successfully back then, but I couldn’t tell you for sure. What I do know is that emacs-jupyter at least actively runs CI on Windows and fixes any bugs specific to the platform.

You are right, there have been advances since Emacs 21. I now find
that with my set up using cygwin with Emacs 26 works very well.

EDIT: Sorry, I have to take it back. Emacs plus Julia don’t play nice with cygwin paths.
https://github.com/tpapp/julia-repl/issues/74

1 Like