What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

I run Julia/Atom/Juno from behind a corporate proxy server and firewall everyday. You only need to set Git/APM up with the proxy IP and you are good to go. Took all of 2 minutes to do and I have a batch file to switch settings for when I work at home. One double click and done. Had a much harder time installating Visual Studio and Intel Fortran that Julia with Juno.

2 Likes

Can you share your batch file(s) as an example?

Will do, first thing Monday.

1 Like

So did I after all , but after searching some forums. I prefer one click installation or at least instructions shiped with installation for the such cases

I choose the md2pdf option, but ended up with a html file instead of a pdf file

Finally had some time to read here.

I must say that I was very disappointed. I almost didn’t want to respond, because I expected it to be misunderstood.

But in fact, I myself almost feel offended or feel offended. It is as though I’m being attacked for simply bringing arguments or words soundly and fairly. I just say it like it is, without offense.

How, Mason, could you read a tone, if there was none, as there is no sound to a written letter? Or put it like this: had my words been obviously offensive (like with the use of profanity or whatever such clear offense), then yes, but you chide me for no good reason, and seem to even get praised for it!

About that definition of that simple IDE, since someone mentioned it and it looked like critique… You could’ve known what is meant by simply reading certain posts and making necessary conclusions. Even abstractness can be clear and lead to answers.

I will write no word in this here thread anymore, because it is obviously not appreciated (except for maybe one or a few, if they’re authentic). It would get misunderstood, or twisted, or some “politician” (possibly trying to score points, I don’t know) would attack my person.

If my words now in this particular post appear mean, I assure you there’s no such thing. If anything, it would sooner be anger. Righteous, burning, flaming anger.

Could you open an issue? I think we just call Weave to create these files…

I believe, what was not appreciated is the following:

Here you are suggesting that a person should not post here unless they exceed your personal standards for arguments and debates. Perhaps, people on this thread would appreciate your comments more if you had not made this type of suggestion.

6 Likes

That is definitely not true for everybody. I set up everything in probably 10 ways and tracked down the issue until a node package, that somehow ist not able to download files because it uses an odd self made proxy implementation. I do not remember the name, i can look it up tomorrow. I wanted to improve the situation by submitting an issue but the package does not allow filing issues. So after 2 hours of spending time I was stuck and frustrated.

edit: fixed typos

I think that the word ‘tone’ is universally understood to be applicable to the written word. I will point you to a Wikipedia page on the subject, here, not to back up the claim, but for an explanation of what is meant.

Your posts definitely have a tone.

8 Likes

Cantor now also has a Julia backend, I just tried it and it is like a Jupyter notebook based on Qt application. Cantor could make for a good simple IDE for Julia.

5 Likes

it looks like Jupyter Lab. is it faster than vscode?

JupyterLab is pretty responsive, despite it runs in a browser.

This is Linux only…

I just tried installing Cantor, it seems like it doesn’t support Julia v1.3
It looked very neat though though I guess its not so simple to install.

2 Likes

So, I finally did make the switch from Atom to VS Code and boy is it better for me. There may have been something going on with Atom in the last few months but despite several attempts to re-install and start all over, I was still bothered by the time lag to get things started. Moreover, the editor would crash a lot (sometimes when I wanted to do something simple like change the font size) and at some point my Ctrl-C on Atom stopped working which was a pain while programming (if I am not wrong, this has been a known issue with the Atom-Julia plugin for a few weeks).

I still like Atom because that’s how I started but it’s unlikely I’ll be going back to it anytime soon given my recent experience with VS Code.

Phew, what a long thread. So two cents of input:

1. If someone is keeping a running count: Atom + Juno is the nicest solution we have but suffers from being slow, is prone to crashing in my hands, and doesn’t do remote dev nearly as nicely as VS Code. None of those things are in the control of Julia community devs, so I guess it is what it is.
  1. To those wringing hands about what you can do with vim…I recently heard about (via Julia Slack no less) the neovim plugin “iron” https://github.com/Vigemus/iron.nvim

The documentation is a little sparse, but once I sorted it out its verrrryyyy slick. It will launch a Julia REPL in a separate window pane of neovim and then pushing code is just a combination of vim motions in combination with ctr For example: 0ctr$ to send the current line over for execution.

Now, this is out of the box. Apparently it’s straightforward to throw in custom language-specific behavior for REPL interaction too… combine with Deoplete, NERDTree, LanguageServer and junegunn/fzf and you have a solid minimalistic IDE. Not aware of replacements for the way Juno handles error messages/results inline etc though

3 Likes

That’s a compelling argument for me.

But regarding the theme war, I guess people pick their editor based on performance, functionality and plugin availability. Then, once they found their editor, they customize it, including themes, keybindings and scripts. Thus, I guess, which browser is used in the long run will primary depend upon the former three points. Especially for performance, VS code seems to win. For functionality and plugins my perception is, that both are on par. At least for what I need from other languages.

EDIT:

That’s a definite point aswell! :smiley:

I doubt the performance is much better than vim, which is the king of remote dev and performance

1 Like

Ah, well, I was referring to the theme war, aka, I was only comparing Atom and VS Code :stuck_out_tongue:
But sure, effective productivity is highest with (neo)vim. EDIT: … CAN become highest with (neo)vim.

1 Like