What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

I just saw your error message on github issue…

“Spawning child process: Invalid argument” looks like problem you could have with spaces in the path definition (or in environment variables or somewhere else? :wink: ).

For example: if you have julia in c:\Program Files\julia directory maybe you could try to change it in emacs config (if there you have something like that) to c:/Progra~1/julia/ (see Filename mangling).

I think that the future looks very bad for Atom when compared to VS Code. Although not official, it seems clear which project has Microsoft full support. Just a glance at the pace of contributions and decreased development in Atom is very telling.

Atom contributions

VSCode contributions

Although powerusers can overcome tooling shortcomings, the wider adoption of julia is influenced by the tooling around it and the officially supported IDE is like the official portrait of the language. I love how julia flows through Atom right now but maybe is time to shift the official focus and adapt to the trends?

6 Likes

Ive been using the VSCode extension with Julia and I think it works really well!

It will take a bit of time to mature like how to get the debuggers to work (they don’t yet) but Ive really enjoyed using it as it just feels faster and slowly I have strong believe that it will match Juno soon.

There’s a recent release that now works with Julia 1.3, so I encourage everyone to try if they haven’t. Finding an IDE that works well with Julia has been one of the things I always felt was lacking, and I think VSCode might be it.

(A quick work of warning to those trying. The first run through, Julia Language Server takes a while, a long while if you have a lot of libraries.)

1 Like

It’s definitely not impossible that we’ll have a Juno built on VSCode at some point. :slight_smile:

17 Likes