VS Code extension v0.11 released

We released v0.11.1 of the julia VS Code extension to the marketplace.

The main feature of this release is that it supports julia 1.0, and drops support for older versions of julia.

The release also adds support for interactive PlotlyJS.jl figures in the plot pane, similar to the existing support for interactive VegaLite.jl figures. Thanks to @anon67531922 for that work!

As always, thanks a lot to everyone who tested prerelease versions, reported bugs etc.!

If you do find bugs with this new release, please report them at https://github.com/JuliaEditorSupport/julia-vscode . If things work just fine, we don’t mind feedback either!

Finally, if you can, please enable crash reporting and telemetry for the extension. It really helps a lot to improve the extension.

Best,
David & Zac

36 Likes

Thank you David and Zac for the great work you do by doing the first class integration of Julia language into VS code.

Looks great. Everything works just fine. Thank you for your excellent work.

Thanks!

I have switched to atom Juno since 1 year ago, is vscode still a lot faster than atom? I heard the performance difference is unnoticeable now

Just try it out for yourself.

1 Like

I just installed the extension and julia 1.03 on ubuntu 18.04 , the status bar I could see a link “Julia env: v1.0” clicking on that prompts a folder select but nothing happens after that… anyone facing the same issue ??

1 Like

The same here, and after closing the vscode the julia process continues to run.

Right now the only thing that does is change what env gets loaded if you start a new REPL instance. We hope to improve the whole support for env much in upcoming releases, but for now that is what we’ve got…

Which julia process? That is not good, maybe you could open an issue over in the repo for the extension?

I tried the VS code, and it is still faster than Atom in my machine.

Interestingly, I came across an MIT licensed alternative of VSCode, VSCodium:
https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

I feel like it is to VSCode is like what Chromium to Chrome. For those who do not like the MS license, it is worth a try.

1 Like

I do not know the reason but when opening the vscode the julia consumed 25% of the processing of the computer, linter and autocomplete not work, and after closing the vscode the julia continued running. After uninstalling the extension, deleting the folder and then reinstalling it, works as intended.

VS code extension works quite nice for me (on Ubuntu 18.04).
But I have a little problem:
I am using PyPlot, and if I run a script by pressing F5 no diagram is displayed.
If I start Julia from the console and run the script in the console using include, it works.
Any idea what might be going wrong when pressing F5?

If I enter show() I get the following message:

lia> show()
/home/ufechner/.julia/conda/3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py:448: UserWarning: Matplotlib is currently using agg, which is a non-GUI backend, so cannot show the figure.
  % get_backend())

julia>

Maybe this issue?

OK, gcf() displays the last plot in the plot plane.

But is there a way to display a PyPlot plot in a separate window?

You can pop the VS Code plot plane from the multimedia display stack, and then everything should behave exactly like the normal REPL.

How can I do this?

I’m trying the extension on the same and its working

after explicitly setting julia.executablePath its working now… thanks for the reply