Ssh2-sftp-client in ftp-remote-edit juno in atom

Not entirely Julia related, but I’m hoping someone here can shed some light:

This has to do with working on a remote server with Juno. Has anyone been able to do that? If so, any idea what I’m doing wrong in this issue?

Maybe try the Juno slack, there were quite a few convos there where people managed to fix their issues.

I’m guessing this is because the client and server don’t have a matching KexAlgorithm to use. On your client you can run:

ssh -Q kex

This will list the KexAlgorithms that are available when use just use ssh or sftp to the server. On the server check:

man sshd_config

And search for KexAlgorithms That will list the default KexAlgorithms the server will accept. You might also check the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file to see if the list of KexAlgorithms has been overridden.

What I don’t know is how to check which Kex algorithms ssh2-sftp-client enables, or if you can specify a particular Kex algorithm to use…

1 Like

You were completely correct. I followed all of the steps for hardening a server here and one of them was " Change Default Ciphers and Algorithms" which included specifying non-standard KexAlgorithms.

Instead of making the appropriate changes in the client side, I just commented out those changes suggested in that step, namely:

KexAlgorithms curve25519-sha256@libssh.org

Ciphers chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com,aes256-gcm@openssh.com,aes128-gcm@openssh.com,aes256-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes128-ctr

MACs hmac-sha2-512-etm@openssh.com,hmac-sha2-256-etm@openssh.com,umac-128-etm@openssh.com

But if you know how I could improve on security by making changes to the only client that will log on this server, I’m all ears.

Thanks for the awesome help!