Searching docs in all packages (possible bug?)

I seem to be unable to search through documentation for modules which are not loaded.

When I start Juno (1.0.3.1) and go to the documentation browser, if I click on the hamburger menu and turn off “loaded” and hit the search button, I am presented with a message:

Please regenerate the doc cache by calling `DocSeeker.createdocsdb()`.

but DocSeeker is not even installed in my current Julia session in the REPL:

julia> using DocSeeker
ERROR: ArgumentError: Package DocSeeker not found in current path:
- Run `import Pkg; Pkg.add("DocSeeker")` to install the DocSeeker package.

Stacktrace:
 [1] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:823

Even if I add it and perform the requested DocSeeker.createdocsdb() the error message in the documentation pane remains the same.

This makes sense - presumably it is not using the same environment as the REPL in order to run Juno itself, and this is the environment which needs to have the docs regenerated, but I’m not sure how to communicate with it.

Is there currently any way to search through the docs of all available modules (not just those that are loaded)?

Regardless, I would propose that it would be nice to present a button that allows the user to regenerate the doc cache instead of just this message. Would someone more familiar with the Juno interface be able to point me to the package / place where this change could be made?

Unfortunately that functionality is broken right now, and unlikely to be fixed in the soon (at least in the current form).

There are plans to build on DocumentationGenerator.jl to allow ecosystem wide documentation search, but all of that is still in the very early stages.

1 Like

Fair enough, thanks!