Problems with Remote Julia Process

Hi! I’ve got some problems getting a remote Julia process to run via Juno. What I’m doing is:

• Start Atom
  • Click on “Start Remote Julia Process” in toolbar
  • Click on “Toggle Remote Tree View”
  • Enter the password that I set earlier
  • I see the server can can browse the folders (So I guess my server config is correct?)
  • With server selected in remote tree view I click on “Start Remote Julia Process” again
  • Window pops up:
Juno requests access to your server configuration to open a terminal.
-------------------------------
Decline this message if you did not initiate a request to share your server configuration with a pacakge!
  • Click on “Accept”
  • Nothing happens

The REPL pane stays blank. Not even a “Press enter to start a new Julia process”. If I open a file on the server and try to execute code nothing happens either.

What I can do though:

• Start Atom
  • Click on “Start Remote Julia Process” → “Toggle Remote Tree View” (I have no idea how to toggle it without doing this)
  • Enter Password
  • Open a “New Remote Terminal”
  • Click on “Accept” when the message pops up
    (At this point the REPL pane shows
Press Enter to start Julia. 

Julia has exited.
Press Enter to start a new session.

Julia has exited.
Press Enter to start a new session.

… don’t know if this matters)

In the remote terminal I can do

tmux new -t test

and start a julia process by running

julia

Plotting doesn’t work (I’m not sure if it supposed to work other than with UnicodePlots) and throws this error:

Error showing value of type Plots.Plot{Plots.PlotlyJSBackend}:                                                              
ERROR: IOError: connect: connection refused (ECONNREFUSED) 

Would there be benefits by getting the remote Julia process to run? Would I maybe be able run code from a file that I opened like with a local Julia process?

I’m trying to do the same thing, using the same process as you did, and have the same results. Trying to connect with the remote server just results in the pop up asking for server info and, if accept, nothing happens.

Any help with this would be great.

HI, I found out the following works:

• Start Atom
  • Click on “Start Remote Julia Process” in toolbar
  • Click on “Toggle Remote Tree View”
  • Enter the password that set up earlier
  • Click “Juno - New Remote Terminal”, insead of click on “start Remote Julia Pocess” again in toolbar
  • The same request window will pop up, and click allowed/yes
  • A new teminal open in the session
  • move working dictionary to ex: “home/shulai/julia/JuliaPro-1.4.1-1/Julia/bin”
  • launch julia by “./julia”

Sorry, I was wrong. The step above was just to open a new terminal but not remote using julia.
To use julia remotely, you need to create soft link with julia, and if it’s other method saved in system, it may not work. create soft link as instructed here bash - Adding 'soft link' to julia - Ask Ubuntu

Have you found a solution to this? I’m doing exactly what you described (which is the same as Connecting to a Julia session on a remote machine · Juno Documentation) and I get exactly the same result (which is nothing happens).

Additionally I’ve also tried toggling the use of tmux by julia-client; that didn’t help.