Other Atom packages for Julia? Uber Juno, Julia IDE, Jude

I’ve been using VS Code for several weeks but today I wanted to try Atom again and found it has several packages for Julia.

Uber-juno: Install de Juno IDE.
Julia client: Julia Evaluation.
Language-julia: Julia language support for atom. (also included with Uber-juno).
Julia-ide: IDE for Julia.
Linter-julia: support for Atom using linter package.
Atom-julia-run: Run a Julia source file.
Hydrogen: All power of jupyter on Atom. Run code interactively, inspect data.
Jude: Julia development extensions.

Have you used any of them apart from Uber-Juno?
Which one do you suggest: fast, integrated plots, table editor, debugger…?

PD: I’m speaking about Atom’s extensions to create a GUI to use Julia. Not to be confused with Julia’s packages.

There are only two alternatives in your list:

1. Juno, consisting of
    • Uber-juno: Install de Juno IDE.
    • Julia client: Julia Evaluation.
    • Language-julia: Julia language support for atom. (also included with Uber-juno).
  2. Hydrogen, consisting of
    • Hydrogen: All power of jupyter on Atom. Run code interactively, inspect data.
    • Language-julia: Julia language support for atom. (also included with Uber-juno).

julia-ide and jude are unmaintained, linter-julia probably is as well, and atom-julia-run won’t give you and GUI.

Which one do you suggest: fast, integrated plots, table editor, debugger…?

Juno, obviously :smiley:
No package will give you all of those points, I think, but Juno does have integrated plots and will have a debugger as soon as someone writes one working on Julia 1.0. We’ll also have a table editor once I find some time to finish

Also take a look at http://junolab.org/ – the interactive screenshot should give a fairly complete feature overview, I think.

9 Likes

Hi, I use Juno all the time and I love it. But the issue is that I also need to run some Python codes, it seems after install Juno package I could not make Hydrogen to work?

I am not a CS person (with limited knowledge)

I got it to work, unless something changed recently which I doubt. What is the exact problem? Do you get any error messages?

I’m joining development of Juno and maintaining Hydrogen, and recently I added changes that only registers Juno’s command for Julia files (.jl, .jmd, and so), thus the problem above won’t happen if you use the latest version of Juno.

Thanks a lot!