Offline Julia 1.0 documentation

Dear all,

I was wondering if there are any updated docs about Julia basics/learning Julia that is really updated to v0.7 or v1.0: that does not require from an internet connection (like a .pdf) or so.

Thanks a lot,

Ferran

2 Likes

Hello @Ferran_Mazzanti,

The documentation is generated using Documenter.jl which takes Julia and Markdown and generates the HTML for it. There is an option to use LuaLaTeX to generate the documentation as a PDF. You could download the directory, edit the option and run it. However, I believe this should be offered in the website as soon as any outstanding issues with the documentation are addressed.

2 Likes

If you’re on a mac, you can also use Dash to store an offline copy of the docs.

1 Like

Additional the epub format would be also good because Pdf is difficult to read on readers.

1 Like

How do we get epub format?

Offline docs is part of installation: share\doc\julia\html\en

2 Likes

Here’s an (unofficial) PDF build of the docs: http://mortenpi.eu/julia/julia-1.0.0-manual.pdf

As for epub: Documenter, which generates the documentation, doesn’t support this output format at the moment (JuliaDocs/Documenter.jl#371). But it might be possible to convert the HTML pages maybe?

8 Likes

Running make pdf inside the docs directory of source tree causes errors which I don’t get. The html version is not so great since the search requires downloading javascript which takes ages. Searching inside a pdf is instant so that would be great to have. Is it possible to just make the pdf available in the downloads page?

1 Like

Building fails for me too, also on master. I think this should be worth investigating (but I also find it difficult, since I can’t locate the logfile). I would suggest opening an issue about this (I could not find an existing one).

I opened Unable to build pdf of documentation · Issue #29694 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub to track this. If this ends up working I can probably ask the Arch Linux maintainer to include the PDF in the package :slight_smile:

It would be nice if zipped html and pdf are distributed via BinaryBuilder.jl as a Julia package.

I just found zeal which seems to be a cross-platform Dash clone. Thanks for the reference, this seems to work well while issues are being solved to get a pdf :slight_smile:

Is this still the most recent version, or is there an update available anywhere?

Thats the most recent 1.0 version, but you can find 1.2.0-DEV here: docs.julialang.org/julia-1.2.0-DEV.pdf at assets · JuliaLang/docs.julialang.org · GitHub

3 Likes