New Blog post live: "Profiling type-inference"

A new blog post titled: “Profiling type-inference” was just posted on the Julia Language’s official blog. Check it out here: Profiling type-inference and let us know your thoughts!

2 Likes

I guess I’m a couple of years behind, but I just discovered this nice post from @tim.holy and @NHDaly. It’s already very helpful as is, but then I get to this flamegraph image

with the caption

Here, the red boxes correspond to MethodInstance s which cannot be “naturally” precompiled. This occurs when the method is owned by one module but the argument types are from another unrelated module. We’ll see how to deal with these in later installments.

I have a flamegraph with some of these red boxes, but I don’t see a later installment addressing this. Was there one? If not, is this covered in docs somewhere? Or maybe other approaches are now preferred?

1 Like

Oh, good point. Yes, I just decided to fix precompilation instead of writing another blog post :laughing:. The bottom line is that the red bars aren’t problematic anymore if you use PrecompileTools; fixing those red bars is basically what PrecompileTools is about.

4 Likes

That’s great, thank you Tim :slight_smile: