Jupyter Kernel Dies (Julia exe deleted) with using Plots

I installed Julia 1.5.3 and added IJulia using Pkg.add(“IJulia”) so that I can use a Jupyter notebook. I went through a Julia Academy tutorial with no issue until I got to the Packages lesson.

In the terminal I entered:
using Pkg
Pkg.add(“Plots”)

Afterwards, returning to the Jupyter notebook, I entered
using Plots
which resuted in

┌ Info: Precompiling Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80]
└ @ Base loading.jl:1278

followed by

The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically.
Results in a Dead kernel, which does not restart.

Furthermore, when I try to run the Julia terminal after the kernel dies, I receive a message that julia.exe has been changed or moved. That is, when I run using Plots the Julia1.5.3.exe gets wiped (deleted) from the ‘\Julia 1.5.3\bin’ folder.

Compiles in Juno. Plots v1.9.1.

Plots compiles in my terminal; there is no problem with Pkg.add(“Plots”). The problem occurs when I try to implement
using Plots
in a Jupyter notebook.

Note: The introductory course in JuliaAcademy uses Jupyter notebooks, so I am assuming that Jupyter notebooks are a viable IDE as well as Juno. I’d prefer to keep using Jupyter notebooks since I use them for Python, R, etc.

Jupyter doesn’t allow to execute single lines without copying them to separate cell first. That complicates production. Key feature of Jupyter is not viability but slim web shell compared to Atom.
I’ve just installed IJulia into my system. “using Plots” executes normally. Do we have debug options?

I installed nteract and Julia-Pro. Then I tried the same thing, this time I received an FFMPEG error, which I think shows up in some forums, so I’ll look that up and try the advice I find there.

Anyhow, here’s the stack-trace:

`┌ Info: Precompiling Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80]
└ @ Base loading.jl:1192
ERROR: LoadError: FFMPEG not installed properly, run `] build FFMPEG`, restart Julia and try again
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] top-level scope at C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\packages\FFMPEG\8bbhD\src\FFMPEG.jl:18
 [3] include at .\boot.jl:317 [inlined]
 [4] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1044
 [5] include(::Module, ::String) at .\sysimg.jl:29
 [6] top-level scope at none:2
 [7] eval at .\boot.jl:319 [inlined]
 [8] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:393
 [9] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\packages\FFMPEG\8bbhD\src\FFMPEG.jl:16
ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile FFMPEG [c87230d0-a227-11e9-1b43-d7ebe4e7570a] to C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\compiled\v1.0\FFMPEG\TGvga.ji.
Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1203
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:960
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:858
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:853
 [6] include at .\boot.jl:317 [inlined]
 [7] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1044
 [8] include(::Module, ::String) at .\sysimg.jl:29
 [9] top-level scope at none:2
 [10] eval at .\boot.jl:319 [inlined]
 [11] eval(::Expr) at .\client.jl:393
 [12] top-level scope at .\none:3
in expression starting at C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\packages\Plots\E3MWZ\src\Plots.jl:15` `Deps path: C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\packages\FFMPEG\8bbhD\src\..\deps\deps.jl` `Failed to precompile Plots [91a5bcdd-55d7-5caf-9e0b-520d859cae80] to C:\Users\wojciechowskik\.juliapro\JuliaPro_v1.0.5-2\compiled\v1.0\Plots\ld3vC.ji.

Stacktrace:
 [1] error(::String) at .\error.jl:33
 [2] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at .\loading.jl:1203
 [3] _require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:960
 [4] require(::Base.PkgId) at .\loading.jl:858
 [5] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at .\loading.jl:853
 [6] top-level scope at In[7]:1`

The above version was 1.0.5 so following the advice of one of the forums, I installed version 1.5.3 but the installer does not place julia.exe in the bin directory. So if I try to run Julia from within Atom, I receive the error message “Julia could not be started”

I give up, I spent my entire weekend just trying to get Julia to work on my laptop and I have nothing to show for it. Good luck with this language, I wish you the best and I hope that one day you fulfill all of the promises that you claim regarding Julia’s performance.

I am not sure what you mean here — usually all the claims about Julia’s performance made by the core team and most people in the community refer to the language as is (and most of the time come with code samples, so you can verify them).

This is not typical, and you can probably fix it with help here, if you are willing to debug your setup. Also, from your posts it is my impression that Julia per se works, just you cannot get Plots to work in Jupyter notebooks.