IJulia + Julia 0.7: Not able to use additional Packages

Hi.

I’m trying to use IJulia with Julia - 0.7.0. I’m able to install IJulia through pkg > add IJulia and use with builtin Libraries. If I try to using PyPlot (I have already added PyPlot for 0.7.0 and is able to use from REPL) from a notebook, the notebook cell hangs, shows Kernel Busy for ever.

Is IJulia not ready for 0.7?

With Thanks,
v-i-s-h

https://github.com/JuliaLang/IJulia.jl/issues/693 … hopefully this will get fixed soon, but it’s been slow to be addressed because it only shows up on Windows, and so far no Windows users have been willing/able to dig through the IJulia/ZMQ internals to debug this.

Oops… Sorry. Forgot to mention. I’m in Linux

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 0.7.0
Commit a4cb80f3ed (2018-08-08 06:46 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.0 (ORCJIT, skylake)

julia> 

This happened on my Windows 10 home computer: IJulia precompiled, and started. I could execute Markdown cells. But nothing happened when I tried to execute Code cells. Unfortunately, for me it is not related to willingness to debug… more about lack of knowledge.

I am also on linux, and have noticed that PyPlot is veryyyy slow in IJulia. Not just on first call to a plot\imshow but on every call; weirdly @time does not not reflect the real lag it shows fractions of a second (which I am assuming points to ZMQ).

For now, I use pygui(true) and the plots show in a separate window without any lag. Hope that helps.

@stevengj For me normal julia statements work! I’m able to do simple statements like the one in screenshots. But when I try to import PyPlot, it hangs.

@raminammour So for you julia 0.7 + IJulia is able to load PyPlot? For me even using PyPlot hangs the notebook!!

yes I can use pyplot, it is just much slower…