JuliaCon YouTube Videos FAQ

I thought I’d answer some frequently asked questions here about the streams and video uploads on the YouTube Channel:

1. There are issues with the stream of my talk.

Please send us an email and we will try to fix the issues when we upload the individual videos. Note that the local copy of each stream should be intact, so we can fix most issues including missing talks. But please be patient, we only have a few volunteers working on this.

1. When will the videos be uploaded?

We will begin uploading videos as we get them post-processed and captioned by outside contractors. This will likely occur in chronological order. Workshops will be released first, followed by Day 1, etc. We anticipate the last video will be uploaded within 2 weeks.

1. I’ve heard streams will be taken down at some point, why?

Our host MIT requires captions within a certain date. To abide by this rule we will be unlisting the stream recordings at some point, after which captioned individual talks should be available. We anticipate taking down the livestreams around a week after they occurred. And videos will be all uploaded within ~2 weeks (starting with workshops which will be uploaded Tuesday August 1st).

Let me know if there’s anymore questions!

– Raye

14 Likes

Do you know when this date is, that is, when the live stream recordings will become unavailable/non-public?

To abide by this rule we will be unlisting the stream recordings at some point, after which captioned individual talks should be available.

By “unlisted”, do you mean that the stream recordings will still be available if someone knows the URL? Specifically, if I email someone the link to a timestamp in the stream recording now, will that link continue to work even after the individual talks are available?

Those streams will be taken down in a few days, since they will not have the captions. The individual videos will be uploaded as soon as captions are ready, but there may potentially be some non-availability between these two events.

-viral

1 Like

For now I will just delist them. This will hopefully avoid confusion. If we receive a complaint though I must immediately take them down as I understand it.

The date is 7 days after the original upload. We apologize for the hassle but it is the only way to abide by the rules of our host (MIT). All videos will be segmented and returned to YouTube within ~2 weeks.

3 Likes

What is the status of uploading individual talks? I could not find them on youtube?

Also pinging this - I went searching to catch up on everything I missed for JuliaCon2023 and I have only been able to find pre-recorded talks. Is there an ETA for the rest of the talks?

2 Likes

What is the status of uploading individual talks?

@jw3126 Members of the organising committee said on Slack they have had some video processing issues.

Is there an ETA for the rest of the talks?

@torrance Members of the organising committee said on Slack they will be out in about a week, by the end of August.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for the info.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to them!

The video recordings of the workshops are publicly available now here.

3 Likes

All JuliaCon talks and ASE60 talks are now available! You can find all talks here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8iPy9hna6T7PRe2sucSonFsrrH-oEZC and ASE60-only talks here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8iPy9hna6SjkqZHcCSUoMsTkmQ3m1FL Enjoy :slight_smile: and thanks for everyone’s patience!

To add to the FAQ a bit, we cannot do anything more about the video quality. The production team we hired failed to do certain things correctly that we cannot rectify in post. We sincerely apologize and we will be sure this doesn’t occur at future conferences.

7 Likes

Are all the keynotes also supposed to be uploaded? I can’t seem to find, e.g., Stephen Wolframs talk.

1 Like

Hi @albheim, they have been uploaded. Here you can find Wolfram’s talk.