Curious about JuliaCon2024

Just curious, as an undergraduate, new to Julia. How should I go about this event online? And hopefully, getting inspiration or opportunities

A background of myself: Having a Bachelor of system engineering . Trying to translate what I have learnt in “The Analytic Edge” or Machine Learning into Julia (from R or python). Exploring Agent-based modelling. I am currently occupied with ComputationalThinking@MIT course , Agent-based modelling and Practical Julia book.

All the videos will be posted to the Julia Youtube channel. There is some delay in that process usually (I’m not a coordinator, so I don’t know the process this year).

3 Likes

Like @mrufsvold said. Just to set expectations, JuliaCon isn’t a hybrid conference.

1 Like

Great, welcome to the community! From what you want to do, I think Julia is a great choice.

Note also that you don’t have to wait, there are a lot of videos from previous years, meant of which are still relevant.

2 Likes

As others have said, this is not really an online conference. There will be some online streaming outlets, but it is pretty difficult trying to manage both online and in-person components at the same time. The organizers are primarily concentrating on the in-person aspects.

This year’s in-person conference is Eindhoven, the Netherlands. If you are in or near that time zone, it might be useful to tag along live and try to ask questions here or on Slack.

I just got word that PyData Global 2024 is going ahead, probably towards the end of this year. I have a loose idea that perhaps we should tag a JuliaCon Online conference onto that, but a lot more work needs to be done in that direction.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information. I’m totally not anywhere in that timezone or region.

Well… I shall just wait for a summary.

A few questions about the YouTube vids…

1. Comparing the program with the number of videos posted, it looks like not everything is posted yet???
  2. Will the ‘Day 0’ tutorials get posted as well?

Thanks.

Currently only the live stream recordings are available. We lack funds to expeditiously process the videos, but we are working on it.

5 Likes

Got it. Thanks!

Is there anything encapsulated enough that I could run it on an HPC? I have some cycles I could burn

I don’t have the details but I’d be surprised if compute is the issue/bottleneck here.

1 Like

I have some bandwidth to cut up videos if I could get access to the raw files. Happy to help!

Hey folks. If you haven’t noticed videos are now being uploaded regularly. The primary delay was getting access to the recordings after they were cut and edited.

We’re now uploading at ~6 videos per day for a number of reasons. The first is so everyone’s talk has a chance to reach an audience. The more videos released at once the less views each one gets, often by several hundred. We also had close to a dozen people complain about the videos being released in one massive batch last year.

Finally, we are also limited by the YouTube API quotas. I’m working to get those quotas increased, but in the meantime I would expect every video to be uploaded by the end of September, perhaps a bit earlier.

– Raye
JuliaCon 24 Executive Chair

15 Likes