JuliaCon Feedback day 1 workshops

Hey all,
Just wanted to get some feedback from day one of the workshops. If you have any thoughts or things that can be improved as the conference goes on, feel free to drop a thread below. (Please keep comments constructive and helpful as the day one workshop speakers graciously donated a lot of their time).

My first piece of feedback for those hosting is to make sure all relevant links are linked in the YouTube live stream description (i.e. link to JuliaCon site for Zoom link and GitHub links).

7 Likes

On the zoom side of things there was a chat and a Q/A message channel. Workshop moderators tried to keep it focused but Q/A still went to the chat sometimes. Was hard to follow.

3 Likes

I did started following the epidemic model example.
Nice presentation with a topical example, but it was pretty unclear who the audience was. It was announced and stated that it was expected some prior knowledge of Julia, but then the speaker went to tray to discuss everything possible… and doing that he went too fast, it was hard to follow him even if the things were very basic, at least, that has been my experience…

3 Likes

Also, it would have been nice if the speaker would have set a Project.toml/Manifest.toml in his repository to allows Binder (and went a few times on that link to let Binder cache it).

In such way the online students would have had a “personal” notebook ready to run rather than be sure they have Jupyter installed and clone the repo…

3 Likes