JuliaCon 2020 is going virtual

Speaking of which: will announcements regarding this be posted here on discourse (in this thread?) or on the official website, or both?

Anyways, thanks for organizing JuliaCon despite the extra difficulties!

1 Like

Both, Iā€™d reckon.

3 Likes

For JuliaCon, I donā€™t care what timezone itā€™s in, or even if itā€™s 24/7! Iā€™ll put a Keurig coffeemaker next to my computer (or start directly injecting enough caffeine! :joy:)
I do think you donā€™t fully appreciate the value of all of the F2F social interactions, until theyā€™re gone though :scream::sob:.

I hope the silver lining is that for future conferences and meetups, that we can retain the accessibility of having things virtual also, for example, having a Zoom meeting running for the people not physically present, so that they can also ask questions, etc. and have that recorded to go along with the recording of the session itself (and for BoF sessions, that sort of hybrid approach would be great to get even more participation, give us more diversity of opinions)

9 Likes

One thing I will especially miss, is the poster session. Itā€™s great to be able to see all the hard work that people have done in Julia, in all sorts of different areas, and to help encourage the poster presenters, give them positive feedback. I wonder if Zoom breakout rooms could be useful for that, each poster presenter having their own breakout room, and have a couple hour Zoom meeting, for people to come and hear them present (which is great practice for the presenter as well) and interact.

I remember meeting @HarrisonGrodin (at the Berkeley JuliaCon IIRC) a few years ago that way!

3 Likes

One area where we might have some upsides are BoFs - sure, they will be very different in character from in-person (and Iā€™ll miss that a lot) - but if they are virtual, weā€™ll surely see much higher participation on some topic (other topic did already will the rooms more than well, of course).

3 Likes

The other thing, is that if they are on Zoom (or some other similar platform), then they can be recorded for posterity.
At the last JuliaCon, I went to more BoF sessions than regular sessions when there was a conflict, because I knew that all of the regular sessions would be recorded and available to watch later.

I wonder now - if things get ā€œsemiā€ back to normal by the end of July, maybe people could have ā€œminiā€ JuliaCon get togethers in different cities, for example, using if possible rooms at universities that have large screens (like at MIT), watching the presentations live, and being able to ask questions, interact with the presenter and otther views around the world, and in the same viewing room.

What do people think of my crazy idea? It would make it easier to keep to social distancing (i.e. groups < 10 or 50, 6 feet apart, etc.) while still having at least some F2F (and things like swag distribution!)

4 Likes

It might cramp the style of the BoF sessions though, if they are recorded and possibly available to a world-wide audience forever. People will be very careful choosing their words, many might be too shy to speak up at all.

4 Likes

I wonder if that could be left up to the participants? (probably only allow if by unanimous consent, IMO)

Could there be some way of restricting access only to the participants?

Itā€™s okay to be virtual.

Guys, you broke my heart. JuliaCon 2021 must be held in Lisbon

8 Likes

I donā€™t think you can blame anyone here. It was the only thing to do, at the moment. But, as you say, it would be fair to Lisbon to reconvene there next yearā€¦

4 Likes

Will tshirts still be available (presumably for purchase since that would otherwise be covered by the registration)? Looking forward to enjoying this yearā€™s conference virtually.

2 Likes

More importantly, where am I supposed to get my Julia stickers??!?!? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words folks. I think the past few weeks have comprehensively crushed our illusions of control.

Yes, there will be an option to buy conference t-shirts online! And maybe even mugs! Imagine that :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I want a good quality washable Julia mask, as the perfect summer fashion accessory!

14 Likes

Bonfire does actually apparently sell masksā€¦

3 Likes

Just in case a reference with nice ideas is helpful, I just ā€œattendedā€ the virtual ICLR conference this year and the online adaptation was awesome! The experience was mostly async but very interactive thanks to rocket chat next to the slideslive prerecorded talks.

The authors of the website show the design ideas in this thread and the post-event website is available here (almost the same as before but without the chat window).

[UPDATE] The generic website was open-sourced here.

6 Likes

On pretalx.com, it says I have two submissions for talks that were confirmed on the 13th and 14th of May.
However, I just got an email from noreply@pretalx.com saying that I have not yet confirmed. Is this likely to be in error, or am I supposed to confirm another way?

According to the #juliacon slack channel, this email was mistakenly sent to everyone, regardless if you confirmed or not.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the update! I would like to know, how will be the process to sign up to the conferences. All of them looks pretty interesting. Thanks a lot