Introducing Julia to French speaking students

Hello everybody !
This is just an announcement specially for the French speaking community, but not only.
I’m the author of a math web-site dedicated mostly to first year university students. The site is popular in France and in French speaking countries of Africa as well (specially in Morocco). This site is visited by more than half million persons a year. I think about a possible internationalization but I noticed that the automatic translation tools of Google and yandex works more or less. Would be good to now where the tools are accessible and who uses them regularly.
In any case, originality is that it is interactive(most maths texts still in pdf format…) due to the presence of hundreds of javascript ‘mathlets’ using sometimes external libraries as JSXGraph for example.
Another specialty is that every concept is illustrated by sample programs. The site as created in 2008 and, at the time, I favoured python to matlab or Haskell because of its simple syntax and fast spreading in the French educational system.
I decided now that Julia has a bright future and may, little by little, take the place of Python in educational fields. It’s a bet …
I don’t want to be late and I decided to double all Python programs as well in courses as in exercises by their Julia counterparts. As a result there are now 441 samples Julia programs in this single site.
Most of these are simple, not to say naive, but efficiency is not my concern, I want them to be read and understood by anybody without any special computer science background.
If, as a side effect, it could draw attention of readers on Julia, it would be good too.
Any comments and suggestions welcome.
Thanks for reading.
Gilles

18 Likes

Interesting! Could you point to the pages where the Julia code can be found?

That sounds like a linear algebra Schwarzenegger determinator.

3 Likes

I will give you a few examples a little later (very busy now). Thanks for your comment.

Hi Rafael,
Unfortunately my American cultural background is quite poor.
I barely know who is Schwarzenegger, but don’t ask me anything about filmography or ‘political’ action. I know he has big muscles and for sure some brain too.
Not enough to understand the joke (if any).
Have a nice day .
Gilles

You may want to check DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (from discussion here Non-english discussion section? - #21 by DNF)

1 Like

Dear Gilles, it was indeed a joke.
You have decreed Julia’s brilliant future and we are delighted.

I will follow your link a little later. But actually scientific/technical papers are among the easiest to translate. It’s not poetry… and ‘word for word’ almost works.

The programs can be located in two places.

• First they can be examples in lessons.
  • Second they can be solutions of programming exercises;.
    To find the examples just keep in mind that
    the site is divided in five ‘books’ (bases, numbers, linear algebra, affine geometry, calculus, probability and statistics).
    Every such ‘book’ is divided in ‘chapters’.
    For example: Bases contains 5 chapters set theory, relations, applications, operations, logic.
    Every chapter contains ‘lessons’ for example 'set theory contains 18 lessons (definitions , pairs, empty set, and so on…)
    Everything is menu-driven.
  • Main menu proposes the 5 ‘books’
  • Every book proposes the various chapter
  • Every chapter proposes the list of lessons.
    Actually every program of the first kind (example) is located at the bottom of a ‘lesson page’ under title ‘Café julia’ following immediately ‘Café Python’ section.
    Here’s an example (summary of basic operations with sets).
    Not every lesson contains such examples but I would say around 50% do…
    Let’s be busy now with the second kind. on some lesson you have en ‘exercices’ button in the tool-bar. This button leads to a menu.
    Special exercises asking to write a program can be recognized with the key word ‘Programmation’ and the corresponding python and julia programs can be found in the ‘solution page’.
    example ::
    lesson page
    leading to corresponding problems
    leading to ex02 with mention ‘programmation’
    leading to ‘solution’ .
    Now you can copy the program in html format inside its frame or list the source html page of this program which is inside the tag
    Actually if you know the address of a program you can display it in your favourite browser import it and edit it.
    Alternatively if you are familiar with e-tree programming you can use a crawler to run automatically through the 5000 pages, isolate the tags and list their content.
    You will have direct access without browsing the site.
    I hoe I have been clear.
1 Like