Installing Julia

Hi everyone!

I’m just trying to install Julia for the first time in my laptop with Ubuntu 18.04. I’ve downloaded a SH file with JuliaPro 1.0.2.1 and I’ve tried to follow the instructions in the PDF provided in the webpage for Linux distributions. However, I don’t manage to install it. After using the instruction “chmod 777” nothing happens and I can’t set up the absolute path to the directory of installation.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

Welcome!

It will be easier to help you if you can be a bit more precise about exactly what you did and how it didn’t work. For example, what was the exact command you ran, what did you expect it to do, and what happened instead? Also, if you got an error message, posting the whole message will help a lot.

Thanks for your answer!

I ran the command:

chmod 777 '/home/david/Desktop/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh'

And then, a window appeared: “Do you want to run ‘JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh’ or to display its contents?”. I chose to run it on terminal as an executable file, but nothing happened. I’ve tried several times obtaining the same result.

I expected to be asked about the absolute path to the directory into which I’d wish to install JuliaPro, as I read in the Quickstart Guide PDF…

Any ideas of how to advance in the installation process?

Did you double-click on that script in your file manager, perhaps? You shouldn’t need to do that.

chmod just enables execution of a script; it doesn’t actually execute anything, so having no output from that function is expected.

You need to run the script yourself from the terminal. Just cd into the folder containing the script and do:

./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1.sh /home/julia/

replacing /home/julia with your desired installation location.

Ok, I’ve tried the method but the terminal returns the following:

Invalid path or the installer doesn't have write permission to the directory specified. Installation aborted.

How can I set up the writing permission?

Thank you in advance!

You should copy-paste also the command that gave you the error. Once again others need to guess what you tried. My guess is: you selected a folder where you don’t have write permission.

Try:

./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1.sh ~/juliapro

I’ve tried again. Here is the complete response:

david@david-HP-620:~/Desktop$ ./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh ~/juliapro
Invalid path or the installer doesn't have write permission to the directory specified. Installation aborted.
Usage: ./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh <Absolute path to install>

Does replacing ~/juliapro with /home/david/juliapro make any difference?

The ~ character is only meaningful to your shell, not necessarily to other programs, so it may not be possible to use it here.

No, unfortunately, it doesn’t =(.

david@david-HP-620:~/Desktop$ ./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh /home/david/juliapro
Usage: ./JuliaPro-1.0.2.1_build-441.sh <Absolute path to install>

Did you make sure that directory exists? IIRC the installer doesn’t automatically create one.

Ok, I’ve created manually the folder and it works!

Thank you all so much for your help!