IJulia cannot connect to server

I am having trouble connecting to the notebook server with IJulia. When I type notebook(), IJulia starts in the browser. However, when I open a new file, it indicates “Connecting to kernel” at the top. After a few minutes, I receive the following message:

A connection to the notebook server could not be established. The notebook will continue trying to reconnect. Check your network connection or notebook server configuration.

I followed the advice in the troubleshooting section of the documentation, including using a clean version of .julia and rebuilding IJulia, and Conda.update(). Unfortunately, the problem persists. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am using IJulia v1.21.2 and Julia v1.5.0.

In my particular case, the problem was that I was launching IJulia from a project specific environment. However, it I did not have IJulia installed in the global environment, which is where it was attempting to launch. Unfortunately, it did not give an error like “IJulia not found…”.

2 Likes