How can I contribute to the Julia community in Latin America?

Hello everyone. I’d like to know how I can contribute to the Julia community.

I’m from Bolivia and, although I don’t consider myself to be at the same level as many of the programmers in this community, I’d still like to contribute, especially by helping promote Julia in Latin America.

If anyone could guide me on how to get started, what initiatives already exist, or how I could help, I’d really appreciate it.

Welcome to the community!

I don’t know the situation in Latin America, apart from knowing some researchers in Brazil. But what you could always do:

Try to organize a Julia meetup event in your region. OK, before doing that, perhaps find at least one person who would help you/ join.

Thank you for the suggestion! I really like the idea of organizing a Julia meetup in Bolivia. I’ll first try to find other people interested in Julia and see if we can start something

Welcome! I second trying to organize a meetup. If you manage to get things started, you can also submit a PR to add your local community here for added visibility. One thing you can definitely do is just talk about Julia! You can, for example, give talks or host workshops in some non-Julia conference or event. My experience is that people who went through the troubles of creating and sustaining a local programming community will be very sympathetic to the cause. Another idea is creating Julia-related content for programmers in Bolivia: tutorials in video or blog post form, or perhaps translations. If there’s something more concrete you need help with, you can also try reaching out to other local Julia community organizers. For example, people managed to host a local JuliaCon in Eindhoven, Paris, and there’s another one in Tokyo that was recently announced. If you haven’t already, joining the slack server is an easy way to socialize. You can also create your own bolivia-local channel.

Thank you! I really like the idea of creating Julia tutorials and practical content in Spanish, and eventually organizing a local meetup or workshop in Bolivia. I’ll start with that.

Hi Ronald! Welcome to the community!
I am from México and there are quite a few people from/in Latin America around here. Brazil, México, Chile come to mind!

In Slack there is the channel español-spanish. Not super active, and of course not exclusively to Latin America but still a good place to leave a message!

I don’t live in MX currently, but you just made me remember how David P. Sanders was instrumental in propagating Julia there by teaching his courses at UNAM with it. Fun times!

PSR in Brazil uses a lot of Julia (and are quite active in JuMP ecosystem): PSR · GitHub

Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions!
I’ll definitely check out the Spanish Slack channel.
You also reminded me of David P. Sanders. I remember watching some of his lectures on YouTube a while ago.

Thanks for your response! I’ll take a look at their GitHub repositories to better understand their work and see how I could contribute in a useful and effective way.

I am in Brazil and can help with talks in Brazilian Portuguese.

Please feel free to contact me for upcoming events in Latin America.

I’ve seen Colombians in this forum, and I’ve messaged with a couple of them. Some are in the same situation as me, meaning that we live and work in the US (or elsewhere) and we don’t have a lot of contact with the current situation in Colombia. However, I think that students in some university students are definitely using Julia for their research. I do believe that people are interested, that there are people using Julia at least on the side, and if you start organizing events, people will show up. It does take a lot of effort, leadership and perseverance to develop a thriving community, but it’s be great if we could do that for Julia in Latin America.