Help correcting REPL character display

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do to get this to display better/correctly? This is what things look like when I’m on my HPC cluster. Unfortunately, that means I likely have limited control to do much to fix it.

This also makes printing of tables (like DataFrames) absolutely horrific to look at.

Screenshot from 2020-08-22 20-23-25

Normally there is just a horizontal line there (in case you forgot).

It looks like your font may be missing the relevant character. Are you using one with Unicode chars?

What is the output of locale in the shell?

In the shell, does the following work?

$ printf "\\u21D2\n"
⇒
2 Likes

Blank newline when I do that.

Output of locale

LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

If I copy the line “Transducers ──────────── v0.4.48” which is pkg output from my local machine, and then do (just in bash)

$ printf "Transducers ──────────── v0.4.48\n"

on the cluster it does print correctly, if that helps?

Looks like DejaVu Sans Mono? That has good Unicode support. Perhaps something in your setup isn’t asking for the right Unicode glyph and there’s no substitution happening either…

What operating system and terminal are you using?

Output of cat /etc/os-release on the cluster.

NAME="CentOS Linux"
VERSION="7 (Core)"
ID="centos"
ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
VERSION_ID="7"
PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 7 (Core)"
ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:7"
HOME_URL="https://www.centos.org/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/"

CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-7"
CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="7"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7"

Not sure how to answer your second question. I am remoting in via Open OnDemand, which provides remote shell access via the browser.

Problem displaying non-ASCII characters in OOD SSH client - #4 by rotaugenlaubfrosch - Get Help - Open OnDemand perhaps?

1 Like

Yea I guess I hadn’t thought that it could be related to the Open OnDemand stuff. It doesn’t look like it is that specific issue that you linked, but it does seem that it is specific to OOD. I just checked that if I do a regular SSH session from my local machine everything looks fine.