\cdot not printing properly in my REPL

So in goofing around with matrices, I tried to do \cdot<tab> in the REPL and expected the dot-symbol that can be used to compute the inner product. Instead, I got a question-mark in a box. It computes correctly, and when I copy it, I paste the correct dot-symbol. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be? I’ll include the output from versioninfo() just in case it helps:

Julia Version 1.5.0
Commit 96786e22cc (2020-08-01 23:44 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-9.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)

The Windows console has terrible Unicode support; even if you switch to a font that has more Unicode character, the lack of fallback-font support means that you will still encounter missing characters. Install a better terminal.

The Julia download page recommends installing Windows Terminal.

3 Likes

Did not know that! So the default terminal is bad on windows, and the julia interactive REPL runs in the default terminal? I looked at it as it’s own terminal… good to know.

The Julia download page recommends installing Windows Terminal .

So I have now downloaded the terminal app from the microsoft app-store, and I have installed Julia 1.5.1. When I open the julia REPL however, it still opens in the old terminal. Searching google for how to change my default terminal did not help me.

I know that this is more an IT-support thing than it is a Julia-thing, but could you tell me how to run julia through the new terminal application, and preferably how to make it the default? If not, any pointer to a helpful resource is also greatly appreciated.

Add julia to your PATH and then just open up the new terminal and type julia.

Or don’t use a console at all — install something like IJulia or Pluto, which lets you do interactive work in a multimedia environment in your browser (which should also support Unicode well).

1 Like

For the best experience, add Julia as a Windows Terminal shell:

(you can even set it as the default shell, as I did)

Or don’t use a console at all — install something like IJulia or Pluto , which lets you do interactive work in a multimedia environment in your browser (which should also support Unicode well).

I normally use VSCode, but the speed and easy of trying something simple is just superb in the REPL, but thanks for the advice anyways

For the best experience, add Julia as a Windows Terminal shell:
(you can even set it as the default shell, as I did)

Done, thanks a lot :smiley: