Current state of Juno?

Keep in mind that anything derived from Atom is inherently going to suffer from bitrot, since the upstream code itself (Atom) is kind of in a state of freeze and the day job of all the ex-Atom developers was moved to working on Visual Studio Code.

This has more or less been the case since Microsoft bought Github.

1 Like

I spent a few hours with VS code and hate it. I can’t layout my REPL or tabs where I want them, it’s clunky and missing 30-40% of the old JUNO functionality. I am sticking with JUNO and by the time VScode catches up, I’ll switch. So PLEASE keep the maintenance releases coming.

5 Likes

It’s strange, because after first run should be fast, the same on both. Ideally first run too. Could this be related to Revise.jl? I believe it might be built in by now in VS Code (it would be good if true), but not on Atom. Revise has some small startup overhead, and then not much I thought when using packages. After first run I thought no overhead. Can you check without it? Disable it somehow or in older VSCode extension where it might not be available.

Also make sure you’re using the same Julia version. Type VERSION enter in VS Code. You generally want the latest, or even 1.7-rc1 as it’s really good. For me, since I hadn’t started in a while I got this with Atom:

Activating environment at ~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Project.toml

It should be the same across (assuming same Julia). But at least VS Code has some hidden environment for some code it uses, so I’m not sure how you see the version of Revise.jl you’re actually using.

I checked that both Atom and VS Code use the same Julia version, 1.6.3. But I don’t know if I use Revise, as I have in both editors:

(@v1.6) pkg> status Revise
No Matches in ~/.julia/environments/v1.6/Project.toml