[ANN] Juno 0.12

Hi all,

Juno 0.12 is out !
Since we have tons of bugfixes and improvements for this release, here I’m going to pick some of the key highlights, but we hope you will like all the improvements and features added :slight_smile:

Release notes

New features

Improvements

Bugfixes

Installation

Atom packages

Important : To fully update Atom packages, you need to restart all the previous Atom processes

Install the latest versions of julia-client and ink packages:
Close all the Atom windows and type the following command into your terminal:

apm update

If that also doesn’t work (or if you want to only update Juno packages), try the commands below instead:

apm uninstall ink
apm uninstall julia-client
apm install ink
apm install julia-client

Julia packages

Execute the following in a Julia prompt:

pkg> up Atom Juno

Versions

Important : This release requires Atom 1.39, 1.40.1, or higher.

As always, make sure all Julia and Atom packages are up-to-date.

Julia packages:

• Atom.jl version: 0.12.8
  • Juno.jl version: 0.8.1

Atom packages:

• julia-client version: 0.12.3
  • ink version: 0.12.3

That’s all, thanks !

Shuhei and Sebastian,

88 Likes

Is this mentioned in the UI? This is cool, but it seems like something I’d forget the meaning of.

8 Likes

All these improvements look awesome, thank you for the great work you guys do on this!

6 Likes

Yes, that’s mentioned in the upper right if you hover over the profile frame.

2 Likes

To some extent. If you hover on a dispatched/gc box in profiler view, there is indication of that in the side of localtion information:
But yes, legend or something more explicit will be better.
(Little discussion here: update profiler by pfitzseb · Pull Request #672 · JunoLab/atom-julia-client · GitHub)

9 Likes

I find that Hydrogen interferes with Juno. Perhaps uninstall it if you run into issues

1 Like

Since yesterday I have a problem with Atom Juno. After the last ink update nothing worked. Only constantly appearing bug reports. Uninstalling and reinstalling didn’t help either. I have now completely uninstalled Atom. Seems that the updates don’t check if the version of Atom Juno is suitable for updating. No idea if it’s still worth installing Atom 1.25 (32-bit) again. Is it possible to install older releases of julia-client, ink etc that worked?

Did you try the installation instructions outlined above? What version of Atom are you running?

After the last ink update nothing worked. Only constantly appearing bug reports.

That’s not enough info for us to help you.

Atom 1.25 (32-bit Linux)

I’d very much recommend updating to a more recent version. You can install an older version of ink with e.g.

apm install ink@0.9.15

(that version should work, but I didn’t try myself).

Ok i try, but that is the last 32-bit version of Atom for linux

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This update eliminated a few major pain points in the visual debugging workflow which my colleagues complained about. I’ll definitely ask them to take a look again - not only the new feature, but also how fast things are improving!

And I like the faster autocomplete.

Much appreciated!

3 Likes

Both REPL rendering and autocomplete seem much faster. Great job!

4 Likes

Hi,
it’s a great job, and I’m sincerely sorry to tint it with a bit of shadow. :man_shrugging:
I’m surprised (to not say shocked) there’s still people using a debugger (outside legacy code context).
I suppose they don’t write unit test, so if there’s people here who need support to learn TDD, I offer my humble services for free.
wish you the best, :heart: julia

3 Likes

Please don’t restart this story again.

12 Likes

I would certainly benefit from some kind of blog post about it outlining the workflow and explaining it’s advantages

If your test fails, then you still need a debugger to find out why if it’s caused by a bug in the code? TDD = no need for debugger is mystifying. Or are you just trolling?

1 Like

For anyone tempted to respond in one way or another w/r/t TDD vs debugger, please read this thread in full instead. If for some reason you are not thoroughly dissuaded from any urge to continue the discussion, well, just please don’t anyway :pray:.

21 Likes

This update is great, thanks!!

I wonder: what are “blocks” in this context? A set of lines selected on the editor, or marked by some delimiter marks…?

See the docs: Basic Usage · Juno Documentation