Why this specific package I created will not be added in a new PC?

I got a fast new PC and was excited about developing Julia with it. I managed to install the standard packages and a couple of my own packages. One package I developed, called Utils.jl will not load, with the message below, which I cannot understand. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(BWModule) pkg> dev "C:/Users/Usuario/Dropbox/Code/Julia/bootstrapwalkforward/BWModule/src/modules/Utils"
   Resolving package versions...
ERROR: IOError: could not spawn `'C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\bin;\julia.exe' -C native '-JC:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\lib\julia\sys.dll' -g1 -O0 --color=no --history-file=no --startup-file=no '--project=C:\Users\Usuario\Dropbox\Code\Julia\bootstrapwalkforward\BWModule\Project.toml' --eval 'append!(empty!(Base.DEPOT_PATH), ["C:\\User\\Usuario\\.julia"])
append!(empty!(Base.DL_LOAD_PATH), String[])

cd("C:\\User\\Usuario\\.julia\\packages\\LLVMExtra_jll\\xowSf\\.pkg")
include("C:\\User\\Usuario\\.julia\\packages\\LLVMExtra_jll\\xowSf\\.pkg\\select_artifacts.jl")
' -t1 --startup-file=no x86_64-w64-mingw32-libgfortran5-cxx11-julia_version+1.10.0`: no such file or directory (ENOENT)
Stacktrace:
  [1] _spawn_primitive(file::String, cmd::Cmd, stdio::Vector{Union{RawFD, Base.Libc.WindowsRawSocket, IO}})
    @ Base .\process.jl:128
  [2] #784
    @ Base .\process.jl:139 [inlined]
  [3] setup_stdios(f::Base.var"#784#785"{Cmd}, stdios::Vector{Union{RawFD, Base.Libc.WindowsRawSocket, IO}})
    @ Base .\process.jl:223
  [4] _spawn
    @ Base .\process.jl:138 [inlined]
  [5] open(cmds::Cmd, stdio::Base.DevNull; write::Bool, read::Bool)
    @ Base .\process.jl:393
  [6] open
    @ Base .\process.jl:383 [inlined]
  [7] open(cmds::Cmd, mode::String, stdio::Base.DevNull)
    @ Base .\process.jl:364
  [8] read(cmd::Cmd)
    @ Base .\process.jl:447
  [9] collect_artifacts(pkg_root::String; platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform)
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:720        
 [10] collect_artifacts
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:706 [inlined]
 [11] download_artifacts(env::Pkg.Types.EnvCache; platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform, julia_version::VersionNumber, verbose::Bool, io::Base.TTY)
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:752        
 [12] develop(ctx::Pkg.Types.Context, pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}, new_git::Set{Base.UUID}; preserve::Pkg.Types.PreserveLevel, platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform)
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:1414       
 [13] develop
    @ Pkg.Operations C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\Operations.jl:1402 [inlined]
 [14] develop(ctx::Pkg.Types.Context, pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}; shared::Bool, preserve::Pkg.Types.PreserveLevel, platform::Base.BinaryPlatforms.Platform, kwargs::@Kwargs{io::Base.TTY})   
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\API.jl:225
 [15] develop(pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec}; io::Base.TTY, kwargs::@Kwargs{})
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\API.jl:159
 [16] develop(pkgs::Vector{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec})
    @ Pkg.API C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\API.jl:148
 [17] do_cmd!(command::Pkg.REPLMode.Command, repl::REPL.LineEditREPL)
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:412   
 [18] do_cmd(repl::REPL.LineEditREPL, input::String; do_rethrow::Bool)
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:390   
 [19] do_cmd
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:380 [inlined]
 [20] (::Pkg.REPLMode.var"#24#27"{REPL.LineEditREPL, REPL.LineEdit.Prompt})(s::REPL.LineEdit.MIState, buf::IOBuffer, ok::Bool)      
    @ Pkg.REPLMode C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\Pkg\src\REPLMode\REPLMode.jl:557   
 [21] #invokelatest#2
    @ Base .\essentials.jl:887 [inlined]
 [22] invokelatest
    @ Base .\essentials.jl:884 [inlined]
 [23] run_interface(terminal::REPL.Terminals.TextTerminal, m::REPL.LineEdit.ModalInterface, s::REPL.LineEdit.MIState)
    @ REPL.LineEdit C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\REPL\src\LineEdit.jl:2656
 [24] run_frontend(repl::REPL.LineEditREPL, backend::REPL.REPLBackendRef)
    @ REPL C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\REPL\src\REPL.jl:1312
 [25] (::REPL.var"#62#68"{REPL.LineEditREPL, REPL.REPLBackendRef})()
    @ REPL C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia-1.10.0\share\julia\stdlib\v1.10\REPL\src\REPL.jl:386

I would guess that the culprit is how Windows deals with Dropbox folders behind the curtains. Copy the folder to outside the Dropbox folder and try again. If it works, then someone maybe can step in and say if there is a way to develop store remotely stored packages like this or not.

Thanks. In my other PCs I have the same structure and even in this PC I was able to add two packages that I developed that are similar to Utils.jl and are located under the same folder. I also just discovered that there is one standard package that I cannot add and the message is basically the same. That package is Turing.jl. All other standard packages like DataFrames.jl, etc. are added with no problems.

add Turing # does not work, similar message to the one for Utils.jl
add CSV # works

I managed to fix it. I had read somewhere that I should add JULIA_BINDIR to the enviroment variables. So I did that. Then I tried to remove it and everything seems to be working fine after that. I was able to install the package Utils.jl that I developed and also Turing.jl.

I don’t have a clue about why that worked.

2 Likes