What Juno features do you use most?

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 18.39.37

I couldn’t see these in VS-Code so went back to Juno… :rofl:

3 Likes

In ProfileView you can right-click on the bar and it will also open in your default editor. For flame graphs, ProfileView and Juno both converged on FlameGraphs.jl as the underlying profile-analysis technology, so any differences are just a matter of presentation.

The line-presentation of profiling data is very nice and unique to Juno.

2 Likes

Odd, ProfileView doesn’t do that for me when I run it in Juno. I just get REPL outputs like

/Users/jessechan/Desktop/ESDG.jl/test_profile.jl, profile_test: line 5

Hovering over the file path shows “Cmd-Click to open link”, but this doesn’t work.

EDIT: ah, I haven’t set environment variable JULIA_EDITOR. Thanks for the heads up!

I will subscribe and see when the vscode-remote allows for this. Right now your extension doesn’t give us persistence with julia which is a show stopper for me unfortunately as I code on my laptop but the code runs on my GPU box. :frowning:

Not sure I understand. The extension simply connects to tmux which provides persistence for Julia via a remote terminal session. If you’re having a specific problem getting it working I’m happy to assist if you can give some more details.

You said it yourself in a previous message, julia extension is not aware of this connection and opens another one. Are you able to generate data, restart vscode and recover the same session in julia?

Yes: to make this work you have to open Julia via the extension with appropriate settings (see the last section of the readme about persistent sessions).

The limitation is that if you open julia this way, you don’t have access to some of the newer cool UI features the Julia extension offers because the two extensions are not aware of each other yet. I am hoping to integrate it once the vscode extension can handle mutilple sessions (see #1030

Ok, I will keep an eye on that github issue, and I will be happy to test once the juno extension can reconnect to certain repl as that seems to be the missing piece :slight_smile:

After reading this post, I tried out VSCode and agree with many of the points made here. Funnily there is one seemingly trivial one that I missed very much when trying to execute some of my code:

@__DIR__() 

In VSCode it is pasted into the REPL and therefore returns the working directory, while in Juno it gives the directory of the file from which it is executed. A lot of my tests use this “feature” and it is very awkward debugging those tests when I get the wrong directory.

If you install the “Julia Insider” version of the extension, this now works like you want.

8 Likes