What is a curl error?

I just tried to install GoldenSequences on two of my computers and got a message I do not understand. The error I saw first was a stream of identical messages like this

┌ Error: curl_easy_setopt: 48

└ @ Downloads.Curl /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Downloads/src/Curl/utils.jl:36

What does this mean? I’m running 1.6.3.

Both are MACs running Monterey. One is Intel. The other is ARM. I did a restart and all seems to be well.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

cURL (pronounced like “curl”, /kɜːl/[6]) is a computer software project providing a library ( libcurl ) and command-line tool ( curl ) for transferring data using various network protocols. The name stands for “Client URL

I think julia uses libcurl under the hood for downloading files. I’m not sure why you’re getting such a cryptic error message but I’m guessing you were just having some connectivity issues and they went away after restarting.

That would be great if it’s true. When I got this mess on the Intel machine I got in so deep that I had to download .julia/environments/v1.6 from another computer before I could sort it out. The ARM machine showed the same message 30mins later, but did not cause any problems.

It’s an issue with Monterey:

I think it will be resolved by the next release. In my experience, it is harmless.