Julia 1.6.0 package manager - error message "noise" in custom Docker image on add/update

I just bumped the julia version to 1.6.0 in a Docker image we use in my organization. I now see repetitions of the same error message when doing package operations. For instance:

(@v1.6) pkg> update
    Updating registry at `/build/jl/depot/registries/General`
┌ Error: curl_easy_setopt: 48
└ @ Downloads.Curl /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Downloads/src/Curl/utils.jl:36
└ @ Downloads.Curl /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.6/Downloads/src/Curl/utils.jl:36
  No Changes to `/build/jl/depot/environments/v1.6/Project.toml`
  No Changes to `/build/jl/depot/environments/v1.6/Manifest.toml`

I would call the message “noise” because I don’t see any evidence that the operation actually failed.

I hesitate to suggest this is a bug in julia or its packages, because, while I can consistently reproduce this problem in instances of our Docker image, I can’t reproduce it when running julia 1.6.0 on bare metal or in the official julia:1.6.0 Docker image. So I figured I would post here on Discourse before opening an issue at Downloads.jl. I see there is already an open issue there related to the package manager in 1.6.0, but I tried the suggested workaround there, and it doesn’t fix my issue, so I’m guessing it is unrelated.

For completeness:

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.6.0
Commit f9720dc2eb (2021-03-24 12:55 UTC)
Platform Info:
  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
  WORD_SIZE: 64
  LIBM: libopenlibm
  LLVM: libLLVM-11.0.1 (ORCJIT, znver2)
2 Likes

I suppose the next thing I can try to do is start commenting out RUN statements in my Dockerfile to see if I can isolate what makes my image different.

This looks like an error that was present in 1.6.0-beta and possibly 1.6.0-rc1. It should definitely be fixed in 1.6.0 final. Are you sure you are running 1.6.0 in docker? The official images are still on 1.6.0-rc3 (for me, at the time of writing).

Yes, the official image is still using RC3, but I am definitely using the official release in my own image where I am experiencing the problem. This bug is rather slippery, it seems. I worked up a MWE Dockerfile that could reproduce the problem, but then, as I was polishing it up, it stopped working, and I couldn’t get it to work again. I’m starting over right now.

At one point it looked like I could exactly isolate it to the installation of libcurl4-gnutls-dev, while the installation of all of its dependencies caused no issue.

Here is the contents of a Dockerfile containing a MWE:

# syntax = docker/dockerfile:1.0-experimental

# When based off these images, we don't see the failure
#FROM ubuntu:18.04
#FROM nvidia/cudagl:11.2.2-base-ubuntu20.04

# Based off this image, we see the failure.
FROM nvidia/cudagl:11.2.2-base-ubuntu18.04

RUN \
  apt-get update \
  && apt-get upgrade -y \
  && DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install --fix-missing --no-install-recommends -y \
  ca-certificates \
  curl \
  libcurl4-gnutls-dev  # <-- Culprit somehow? When this is commented out, there is no failure. \
  libcurl3-gnutls  # The only additional dependency brought in by libcurl4-gnutls-dev. By itself, it causes no problem. \
  && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

ARG JULIA_MAJOR_MINOR_VERSION="1.6"
ARG JULIA_PATCH_LEVEL="0"
ARG JULIA_DL_URL="https://julialang-s3.julialang.org/bin/linux/x64/1.6"
ARG JULIA_VERSION="${JULIA_MAJOR_MINOR_VERSION}.${JULIA_PATCH_LEVEL}"
ARG JULIA_PACKAGE="julia-${JULIA_VERSION}-linux-x86_64.tar.gz"
ARG JULIA_INSTALL_DIR="/usr/local/julia"
WORKDIR /usr/src/julia
RUN --mount=type=secret,id=netrc curl --netrc-file /run/secrets/netrc \
  ${JULIA_DL_URL}/${JULIA_PACKAGE} \
  -o ${JULIA_PACKAGE} \
  && mkdir ${JULIA_INSTALL_DIR} \
  && tar -xf ${JULIA_PACKAGE} -C ${JULIA_INSTALL_DIR} --strip=1 \
  && rm ${JULIA_PACKAGE}

ENTRYPOINT [ "/usr/local/julia/bin/julia", "-e", "import Pkg; Pkg.update()" ]

I tried as far as I could to unwind the base Dockerfile definitions down to ubuntu:18.04 but couldn’t manage to get further than nvidia/cudagl:11.2.2-base-ubuntu18.04 while still being able to reproduce the error.

I guess this suggests the issue is somewhere in the nvidia Docker images? That’s not super helpful for me, though, as we need our image to be based off of nvidia/cudagl

I think the workaround I’m going to go with is to remove the dependency that ends up bringing in libcurl4-gnutls-dev, since I don’t believe we actually end up needing it for our purposes. Still, not the most satisfying resolution.

I don’t really see how the installation of another libcurl should matter. Julia should use the one that it comes bundled with. Is something setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

1 Like

Thanks for the lead. Yes, it gets set in the nvidia/cudagl images. I don’t know that it is an option to unset it in our use case, but it is at least much more satisfying to have a plausible explanation.

Seeing this “noise” on a supercomputer (no docker involved) as well. x-ref: Downloads.jl: Error: curl_easy_setopt: 48

Did you see the linked post in your thread (to the one identifying the issue in this thread)?

The two ingredients that seemed necessary to see error message noise in my case were:

1. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set globally;
  2. libcurl4-gnutls-dev is installed.

The latter ended up being brought in by libvtk6-dev in my case. My workaround was to remove it.

Getting lots of those messages too on macOS with a fresh install. I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but no joy. Any other leads?

On macOS you might have to check/unset DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH.

1 Like

I’m experiencing this (or something similar) on a Mac. See here. I checked on and cleared DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and that didn’t make a difference.