What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

Was having issues with 1.3 with crashing Language server etc e.g. https://github.com/julia-vscode/julia-vscode/issues/876

I am so tempted to just switch to Ubuntu.

1 Like

I know what you’re getting at (simplicity from end-user perspective), but I still had a chuckle that we’re at the point where we’re calling something built on top of Chromium “simple” and “lean”.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’ll go back to my obviously very simple editor built on a 40-year-old incomprehensible mountain of lisp with no namespaces.

@anon97116444 note that julia-mode comes with a built-in inferior julia mode, so if you can do without niceties like autocomplete and the REPL Pkg, shell, and help prompts, you won’t need to mess around with julia-repl or emacs-jupyter.

4 Likes

If you are comfortable with emacs and want simplicity over bells and whistles, I think it’s hard to beat editing in emacs with julia-mode and running the Julia REPL in a standard terminal.

2 Likes

isn’t this a contradiction in terms? :crazy_face: (long-time Emacs user here, just could not resist)

10 Likes

No Actually there is no ide to satisfy your requirements (if you mean native simple wholly dedicated to julia ide). Everything you can touch in is just wrought as “editor + plugin” or “browser+plugin”, or browser apps (exept Julia REPL).

Do you think Julia would benefit from such a dedicated IDE?
When I was starting Python the Idle3 ide was up and running in under a minute, I cut and pasted a sample code segment to learn and was coding in under an hour. I was under the impression that Julia solved the two language problem but seems to have created a three language environment. Julia, atom, juno.

RStudio doesn’t have as many features as Atom but it has many curated features. I think of Juno as an Julia-only IDE that also benefit from awesome plugins like TabNine!

Hey Tamas
I got into this because of your WONDERFUL solution to my slopegraph problem :slight_smile: If this were the Python environment Idle3. I would have cut and pasted your code into an edit window. I would have fixed all the dependancies and I would have been stepping through the code in minutes ( from environment installation to analysis) this did NOT happen in this case and that is disheartening. I am STILL itching to get into why your wonderful code works BUT not by introducing an environment that seems to break. I know there is a solution ( and I posted it) but my issue is I cannot trust this level of complexity and seeming dependency. I’ll find a way but not using atom and juno. Again, thank you for your wonderful solution to the problem. I now have something I care about to learn a language I respect from AFAR ( right now :-))

thank you for all your excellent suggestions but it seems that there is no julia specific ide that reflects the simplicity of python’s Idle3. I just need an edit window and a execution window. Loading up an application then adding in plugins looks like a problem waiting to happen.

I understand the initial frustration with setting up a working environment.

But I think that the plurality of IDEs is actually a good thing. I am using Emacs for everything (e-mail, LaTeX, other programming languages), so I can just do it one time and work in a comfortable setup that I have been using for decades.

Indeed, the Julia ecosystem pretty much assumes that people have a preferred IDE, and just tries to make Julia work with that. If you don’t have an initial preference, it may be confusing — in that case, I would just recommend Juno. If you are a seasoned Emacs/Vim/VSCode/… user, you can just stick with that.

7 Likes

ho hum,
ok so back to python and idle3 until something comes along. Please remember that idle3’s simplicity is the reason that many school children use python on the raspberry pi. I think this is a lesson julia might consider.

AHA! you have spotted my point exactly. Python’s idle3 ide is simple, effective and built to task. The atom/juno environment is powerful but many many many opportunities for things to get out of synch. I posted a thread earlier on when I hit the problem first pass through.

hi David
I am ALWAYS alarmed by the name microsoft. I don’t dislike them it’s just I prefer the open community. I did not know about VS code and will look at it next week. Thank you for pointing it out. I got julia running in seconds and it WAS running inside the atom environment but then I added juno and woomp!
contrasting my experience with Python using idle3 and julia,atom, juno I would say that the python onboarding is more attractive right now.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear about your issues. My experience installing julia then atom on ubuntu 18.04 lts was excellent. It was only when I “added” juno that all went down hill. I have a proposed fix ( discourse to the rescue) but that does NOT detract from the fact that the fix was necessary due to release issues. Python has it’s problems with staggered releases but to get python RUNNING and having fun is a moment’s task. I think a lesson could be learned from the python idle3 experience on the raspberry pi. Thank you so much for taking an interest and I will check out all your suggestions.

AHA!
admittedly mentioning emac and simplicity… :slight_smile: I am really looking forwards to seeing what julia-mode brings to the party. I hadn’t even considered going back to emacs as idle3 is a wonderful experience. I like your idea and will look into it next week. I am wondering if I can pipe output out to multiple tmux… See what you’ve done :slight_smile:

I do not think anything , i just answer your question (with some suggestions of mine about), just like many others.

Editor of my choice + Julia REPL seems pretty simple to me.

Maybe I misunderstand but I don’t get why branding matters that much. After all idle3 is also just an editor + REPL. I mean, would you be satisfied if I bundled up Julia + sublime text for you and called it idle3?

3 Likes

The ideal environment for me is the i3 tiling window manager with vim editor windows and Julia REPL; with however many editors and REPL windows needed. Also, I have multiple numbered desktops, so I can switch between different tabs of development activity.

The atom editor is just too bulky for me… vim windows are very snappy and since it’s using a tiling window manager, new plotting windows from REPL fit in nicely.

Vim is also setup for LaTeX editing with plugins/viewer.

7 Likes

I understand your problem of wanting a simple IDE or working environment that is easy and quick to set up without frustration, too many choices or unexpected setbacks or hoops to jump through, so that you can get busy using the already laid foundation to get other things done. You want for things to not get in your way, and you also don’t go out there and hunt and kill animals for food, but you go to a supermarket or even get a deliverer from the supermarket to you. And you don’t make a fire by hand nor do you reinvent, construct or set up a modern lighter, but you use an existing simple one that does what it’s supposed to do well, and which cannot or which hardly goes wrong. Simple, trustworthy, efficient, effective, stable. This is one of the great things of man: foundations have been laid and you don’t need to do it again.

Am I right? Am I close?

I understand your aversion with Microsoft. VS Code may look impressive, but who in his right mind really trusts them? I don’t.

Like it’s been said before, it seems to be assumed that Julia users should just use their editor of choice with plugins. This may be good for some and bad for others.

Trust them with what? Using their free and open source editor? I certainly trust them enough to do that. Am I then not in my right mind?

Frankly, vs code seems like the best suggestion so far.

4 Likes