VScode error: Cannot read property 'file' of undefined

Hi guys,
I’m using VScode + julia extensions. Normally, when I apply ⇧(shift)+enter on a line of code in a .jl file, it will automatically open a julia REPL. However, today when I do the same thing, it reports an warning: Cannot read property ‘file’ of undefined on the bottom right corner of the screen and nothing happens.

I have no idea what I did to cause this problem. How can I fix it?

2 Likes

Can you add a screenshot ? Also, does this persist after closing and re-opening VSCode?

I am having same problem.Here is the screenshot.

1 Like

What do you have under Julia: Executable Path in the settings (Settings → Extensions → Julia)?
I had this issue previously because I had an invalid path there.

This is the screenshot. Yes, it persist after closing and re-opening VSCode.

Problem solved by changing the Executable Path from “/home/software/julia-1.6.4/bin” to “/home/software/julia-1.6.4/bin/julia”
Thank you!

6 Likes

On Windows, adding the .exe solved it for me

1 Like

Hello all, I had a hard time solving the same problem. The difference from @Sharon-Liang 's is that I am running VS code from a workstation and do “Remote-SSH Connect to Host…” to connect to another remoter server. VS code and Julia can run well with ⇧(shift)+enter at local workstation. But it doesn’t work for the remote server where I have to run include(“test.jl”) to run the code.

In both case, it is blank in Julia: Executable Path in the settings (Settings → Extensions → Julia). And even if I entered /alt/applic/user-maint/sc2350/julia-1.7.2/bin/julia to the server setting, it doesn’t help.

The /alt/applic/user-maint/sc2350/julia-1.7.2/bin/julia is actually the path for local workstation. In the server, I need to do “module load” to load julia/1.7.2.

Thank you for your help! @logankilpatrick @hdavid16

You choud use:
whereis julia
to find its location, and fill it in the Julia:Executable Path.

For example, the Executable Path of Julia in my remote server is “/cm/shared/apps/julia-1.7.1/bin/julia”.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

[

Shuang(Sharon)-Liang

Institute of Physics, CAS
sliang@iphy.ac.cn

](头像签名)

---- Replied Message ----

From | Si Chen via JuliaLangnotifications@julialang.discoursemail.com |

| Si_Chen
June 30 |

• | - |

Hello all, I had a hard time solving the same problem. The difference from @Sharon-Liang 's is that I am running VS code from a workstation and do “Remote-SSH Connect to Host…” to connect to another remoter server. VS code and Julia can run well with ⇧(shift)+enter at local workstation. But it doesn’t work for the remote server where I have to run include(“test.jl”) to run the code.

In both case, it is blank in Julia: Executable Path in the settings (Settings → Extensions → Julia). And even if I entered /alt/applic/user-maint/sc2350/julia-1.7.2/bin/julia to the server setting, it doesn’t help.

The /alt/applic/user-maint/sc2350/julia-1.7.2/bin/julia is actually the path for local workstation. In the server, I need to do “module load” to load julia/1.7.2.

Thank you for your help! @logankilpatrick @hdavid16

2 Likes

Thank you @Sharon-Liang for your help! whereis julia is working great to solve my problem!
Best,
Si

1 Like