Using CedarEDA or Julia for programmatic IC design

I watched Glen Hertz & Pepin de Vos’ JuliaCon 2021 talk about CedarEDA (formerly JuliaSPICE), and the implications for integrating a modern coding language into the fabric of simulation tools are really exciting. Since watching the talk, I’ve been thinking a lot about ways to use Julia and Cedar to implement some of the analog generator ideas that are gaining popularity (things like BAG, MOSAIC, etc.)

Is there more information available about this, or more generally, using CedarEDA or Julia for programmatic approaches to analog circuit design? Alternatively, if there is someone on the CedarEDA team who could discuss this more? This seems like a really powerful combination of methods and tools for analog design.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Our main website is cedar-eda.com and I can answer questions here or you can connect via my work email (glen.hertz@juliahub.com). We have a full SPICE simulator (CedarSim), netlist parser, and a waveform processing library (CedarWaves) to make fast, custom, reliable measurements. This is all written in Julia and is very natural for engineers to use and to create their own automations and can connect to legacy code or systems.

I’m not sure about other tools like BAG but they are auto-generating layout which we don’t touch yet. It looks like BAG is currently being performance optimized by writing portions in C. With EDA, even the high performance languages are often too slow so Julia is a great match as it is easy to use and high performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like