Unregistered packages with name equal to registered packages

Hi guys!

Since 2014 I create a package called Rotations.jl(https://github.com/ronisbr/Rotations.jl) that has the solely purpose to provide a MATLAB-like interface for 3D rotations and coordinate transformations. I never registered the package because it does not seem OK, because you can do something using the Julia way much better. However, in my institute, there are some guys attached to MATLAB. So, this was something I did to make those researchers more likely to use Julia.

Anyway, sometime ago, a package called Rotations.jl was register in the METADATA. After this, I started to see some strange messages like:

WARNING: unknown Rotations commit aeb9c30e, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 31ae3ca5, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 9a5cb5b8, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 5ee49051, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 3ef1cce9, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 5ec79683, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit fa90fd40, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 0a316af3, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit a16511b4, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 121e73d7, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit c2cce971, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 5135a03e, metadata may be ahead of package cache
WARNING: unknown Rotations commit 760f1fa3, metadata may be ahead of package cache

and only now I realize that this can be caused because of the naming collision.

Question: what can I do?! Do I really need to change the name of my package? There are many Julia code written using this and it will not be fine to do this. Furthermore, I have no intention to publish my old package, which was create just for make easier the code transition between MATLAB and Julia.

The upcoming new package manager, inventively codenamed Pkg3 supports different packages with the same name, so it will not be confused by this. So one option is just to wait. You can also move your Rotations package out of your ~/.julia/v0.x directory and somewhere else in your LOAD_PATH and you’ll be able to use it without confusing the old package manager.

4 Likes

Thanks! I will wait :slight_smile: a couple of warning will not hurt