The Julia Forem is live: https://forem.julialang.org

Hey folks!

Some of you may recall that we have been experimenting with setting up a Julia Forem since November of last year. Well today, I am super excited to share that the Julia Forem is live and ready: https://forem.julialang.org :confetti_ball:

You can read more about what the Julia Forem is, why you should use it, and the best practices here: The Julia Forem: What it is, why we made one, and how to use it! - Julia Community šŸŸ£

As a quick disclaimer because I am sure a few people are thinking this, Forem does not replace Discourse in any way. Discourse is a core part of the Julia Community for Technical Q/A. Forem is essentially a hosted blogging service with social features where you can get an awesome feed of high quality Julia content and have threaded discussions about it.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

31 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

Sorry but I have to ask: is there any particular reason why they spell Forem that way? Is it an acronym, or maybe a reference to something Iā€™m missing? The misspelling of ā€œforumā€ is really triggering my OCD, which is especially concerning since I donā€™t actually have OCD.

11 Likes

Perhaps it isnā€™t alluding to ā€œforumā€, but ā€œforearmā€? Or ā€œ4Mā€ (like 3M post-it notes, but 1M better)? Or maybe ā€œfor 'emā€ (for them)?

3 Likes

My hypothesis is that all good and even half decent names were already taken (under copyright), so they had so settle for thisā€¦

My own suggestion would be Foo_R.E.M

4 Likes

Itā€™s a proper noun. If they spelled it ā€œforumā€ it would be impossible to find information about it. Discourse is bad enough and thatā€™s not that common a word.

3 Likes

It it possible to use math (Tex based ideally) syntax in forem? I tried $(ax^2 + bx + c = 0)$ but that didnā€™t workā€¦

I would open an issue here: GitHub - forem/forem: For empowering community šŸŒ± and ask. I think @simonbyrne was also interested to know this.

3 Likes

Double backtick fence is common in markdown, you could try that.

``like this``
2 Likes

I did some searching through Foremā€™s issues and found they support KaTeX with the guide they provided being here: Editor Guide - DEV Community šŸ‘©ā€šŸ’»šŸ‘Øā€šŸ’» for math notation.
Hope that helps!

So in your case, I think this should work:

{% katex %}
ax^{2} + bx + c = 0
{% endkatex %}
8 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

My hypothesis: ā€œFOR EMpowering communitiesā€.

Weak evidence: Subtitle and description of the Forem GitHub repository.

5 Likes

For 'em?

1 Like

I repost what @PetrKryslUCSD posted on slack: classical latin - How does forem compare to essem? - Latin Language Stack Exchange

1 Like

Viva forem!
For Foremā€™s issue tracker (I donā€™t know where it is). During logging in first time to forem Iā€™ve inserted a ā€œshortā€ bio, longer than 200 characters. There wasnā€™t any error message, I just couldnā€™t go to the next page. I know the length limitation 'cause I was able to fill it in the settings, where it works properly.
UPDATE: Iā€™ve sent to the issue tracker.

The issue tracker is here: GitHub - forem/forem: For empowering community šŸŒ±

1 Like

How to do inline Katex in forem?

Let {% katex %} A {% endkatex %} be a matrix is alloting a single line for ā€˜Aā€™.
Like:
Let
A
be a matrix.

[quote=ā€œVinodV, post:19, topic:82055ā€]
{% katex inline %} A {% endkatex %}
[/quote] will do the job

1 Like